Sign in to follow this  
Bob117

Laser Guided Artillery Rounds

How do I lock on to laser targets with laser guided artillery rounds? any help out there?

are you using the som module to coordinate your artillery? it's easy if you are, and if you aren't....I haven't tried to use laser guided shells.

If you are, call for laser guided shot, they will ask you for a target, click on the map, then when they call "shot" activate your laser designator and wait for the boom.

Well what I meant was if im on the artillery piece and some guy with a laser designator desginates a target how do i lock that target? I tired pressing tab it dont work

Not intended for player use.

Let AI fire through arty module and just lase the target like you would directing one angry A-10 or Harrier.

Well what I meant was if im on the artillery piece and some guy with a laser designator desginates a target how do i lock that target? I tired pressing tab it dont work

That wouldn't work as far as I know. You have to fire the shell in to the area then it will lock on as it descends. It may work, I will do some testing firing it and having the target painted downrange. I can't think of why it wouldn't work as long as the shell is fired near where the laser is pointed, but I don't think you can "lock on" before you fire.

Will let you know

It does work. I have used it since day one.

Have the arty shoot that round and make sure you are lasing the target. It will hit.

EDIT: You "lock" by turning on the laser designator and "aim" at whatever you want the shells to hit. Just like with laser guided bombs.

It does work. I have used it since day one.

Have the arty shoot that round and make sure you are lasing the target. It will hit.

EDIT: You "lock" by turning on the laser designator and "aim" at whatever you want the shells to hit. Just like with laser guided bombs.

That's what I meant, it will work, but you can't lock on to your target from the gunners seat of the cannon, like you can with the hellfires in the helo's.

Here is a small mission I just made showing how it works, just follow the hints and watch the fireworks! http://rapidshare.com/files/278289482/laser_arty_test.Chernarus.pbo

Edited by {USI}_Zombie

Alrite well what about unguided rounds how do i use that little horizontal targeting map that u can turn on and off? i dont rly understand how to use it any manuals or anything

did you try the mission I posted above? When arty is enabled, you get in as gunner, the action menu will say "target artillery", select that then the firing interface will appear. The interface tells you azimuth, elevation, round flight time, it shows elevation markers etc. I usually use the center horizontal marker for my target and press the fire button.

Try the mission I posted. It shows all the concepts you are asking for.

Reposting a guide I wrote:

For those who would enjoy firing artillery manually, here's a quick diagram of the aiming reticule and how it's read.

armaarty1.jpg

The middle blue line is your current altitude in the artillery piece. The closer line is your altitude + 1000m, and the further line is your altitude - 1000m. Therefore, the distance between each red hash mark equals about 200m. By reading the topographic map, I can see that my target's elevation is around 135m. So if I aim with the first red hash mark after my current altitude, the shell should land within 5m (since that hash is the 140m mark).

I fired the round when the second-hand struck 12 o'clock on my watch. The round will have a 43.16s flight time (41.8+(48.6-41.8)/5), so should arrive two seconds before the second-hand strikes 9 o'clock.

Observing the target area...

armaarty2.jpg

Kaboom. (Watch reads exactly 43 seconds)

armaarty3.jpg

Accuracy was within 5-10m, at near maximum range of the M119.

That truck is toast.

armaarty4.jpg

Another good thing to do is setup a game controller to manipulate the artillery piece with. This way, you can aim using the larger map (see first picture) instead of that pansy minimap. This will make you much more accurate. You still have to close the map to actually fire, however.

God, I love artillery.

Reposting a guide I wrote:

For those who would enjoy firing artillery manually, here's a quick diagram of the aiming reticule and how it's read.

God, I love artillery.

Thank you!

I as well love the artillery! Thanks for the tip on the controller.

did you try the mission I posted above? When arty is enabled, you get in as gunner, the action menu will say "target artillery", select that then the firing interface will appear. The interface tells you azimuth, elevation, round flight time, it shows elevation markers etc. I usually use the center horizontal marker for my target and press the fire button.

Try the mission I posted. It shows all the concepts you are asking for.

How can I fire manually? I place an m1119, but i cant get the "target" button up. Help!

Add the ARTILLERY module and drag a sync line to the artillery gun.

EDIT: You need ammo as well... Hang on.

EDIT2: So you have to load the gun. You do this in the guns INIT box. You write or copy/paste this line this addMagazine "ammo_here";

Where i wrote ammo_here you have to declare what type of ammo. Ammo types as follows:

ARTY_30Rnd_105mmHE_M119

ARTY_30Rnd_105mmWP_M119

ARTY_30Rnd_105mmSADARM_M119

ARTY_30Rnd_105mmLASER_M119

ARTY_30Rnd_105mmSMOKE_M119

ARTY_30Rnd_105mmILLUM_M119

If you want to be able to load with different ammo you can add them all. To do that you have to create one command for each like this:

this addMagazine "ARTY_30Rnd_105mmHE_M119"; this addMagazine "ARTY_30Rnd_105mmWP_M119"; this addMagazine "ARTY_30Rnd_105mmSADARM_M119"; this addMagazine "ARTY_30Rnd_105mmLASER_M119";

That wasnt all but an example. Keep doing that with all the rest if you want.

EDIT3: As you know the info is on the ARMA wiki: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Artillery_Module

Alex

Edited by Alex72

How exactly does laser-guided artillery in ArmA work? Realistically the target would be auto-acquired mid flight but the ArmA engine doesn't do mid-flight missile target acquisition or de-acquisition. That's why someone hasn't written a good airplane flare script or made complex missile logic without setPos'ing the heck out of an actively tracking missile.

I think they change when you move actually. I remember lasing and then at the last seconds i moved the laser and it hit. Maybe that wasnt what you meant.

Yeah changing the position of the laser target definitely works, so engine-wise there shouldn't be a problem of changing location of target mid-flight.

How exactly does laser-guided artillery in ArmA work? Realistically the target would be auto-acquired mid flight but the ArmA engine doesn't do mid-flight missile target acquisition or de-acquisition. That's why someone hasn't written a good airplane flare script or made complex missile logic without setPos'ing the heck out of an actively tracking missile.

setPos? Pssh, setDir all the way. Makes it look like the missile veered off towards the flares, looks nice. Works great in multiplayer too (see:

--though it'd look a lot better of new direction was interpolated rather than just set, and should probably lower the deflection amount)

WOAH i watched that video its a sick addon u guys know where to get it?

Yeah changing the position of the laser target definitely works, so engine-wise there shouldn't be a problem of changing location of target mid-flight.

Yeah I guess you could ballistically match the setPos of a laserTarget just ahead of the shell and then once it gets close "stick it" to the target and let the maneuverability take over. One problem is that the laserTarget belongs to the FO and not the gun so you'd have to have 2 laserTargets one for the gun that gets the shell near and then match position laserTargetGun to laserTargetFO's position.

I'm not sure what happens when a guided round's laser goes away, hopefully the round would just go ballistic (Newton's laws).

Lesson: Life would be soooo much easier if target locks for guided projectiles could be created, deleted, and changed mid flight.

Edited by Frederf

As far as I've noticed it seems that if the laser disappears (even if it just goes out of the LOS of the missile) the lock is lost and the missile goes ballistic (which usually means a miss unless it was very close to the target when the laser went out).

me and a friend fired artillery manually in CRCTI Extended mode where there is no auto artillery mode and the ammo does arc a little which is good we were able to hit a target 4500m away accurately to 100-500m