Sign in to follow this  
troop

Warning about new 'ofp cool editor'

Just read an warning on an german OFP forum about this tool:

OFP Cool Editor on

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?sekce=utilities

from 19.03.02; Author Sileny Murdock

---

I will only translate the problems description; I did not test the tool myself (XP Pro)

http://www.k-foren.de/showthr....d=25188

When installing the tool, it apparently asks to overwrite the following files:

Stdole2.tlb

scrrunn.dll

Shdocvw.dll

Msvbvm60.dll

under C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\

If answered with yes, after rebooting the system, system language could be set to czech (set, not only displayed! ) and at least on german systems, this causes system fatal error(s), which only can be fixed by reinstallation of system!

If anserwing 'NO' on overwriting those files, the tool _could_

work, but I'd like this to be clarified before experimenting.

So, until the Author or someone who knows exactly can

comment, better dont install this tool;..so far at least 5 german systems were rendered useless after the installation.

I'm sorry, if this is the wrong forum,..but it's read by most, I hope.

Anyone?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (troop @ Mar. 22 2002,14:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so far at least 5 german systems were rendered useless after the installation.<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds like it would make a good addon for the Invasion 1944 mod. tounge.gif

We installed the tool to two Windows 2000 (English) workstations yesterday.

It's true that it asks to overwrite these files, some of them are older than a standard Windows 2000 (sp2) installation, some are not.

On the first system we installed the newer files and at the end of the installation Windows' own 'system file fix' wizard asks to repair the files. We allowed Windows to do it and the files were reverted. Both Windows and the Cool Tool works perfectly.

On the second system we installed the newer files but chose not to allow Windows to re-instate it's 'preferred versions' of the files (we're a curious bunch). Again, both Windows and the Cool Tool are working perfectly.

So at least from my experience, on English Windows 2000 systems, no problems, regardless of whether you install the newer files or not. Hope this helps some of you out there.  smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds like it would make a good addon for the Invasion 1944 mod<span id='postcolor'>

LoL Avon. I love your sence of humor.

i was running a english version of Windows ME, and it fvcked it up, i had to reformat the HD, didnt lose much since i backed up all my stuff on a diff HD before i reformated it

running Win98se now

While in my original post I had no problems with installing this tool. Having now used it for a few days, I have been disappointed with the accuracy of the briefing.html that it produces. sad.gif

In fact based on a large amount of errors that seem to exist with it's output I'm not sure how useful a tool this really is.

It may just be the english version (as opposed to the Czech) but it needs some work to be a good tool. I hope the development team stick at it becuase the idea is great. smile.gif

Yeh watch out alright - I downloaded this forgot about it for a couple of days then installed it whilst i was still sleepy eyed in the morning,of course i let it do its stuff and it duly transformed my operating system into a wonderful (not) Chezch version - ARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH. I ended up formatting the drive - always read the label! confused.gif

from the author:

---

Hello,

I'm really sorry to all users of my OFP Cool Editor, who had "Windows crash" problem with it. If k knowed what the ActiveX controls what my program using can do with your system, I didn't get the program to the Internet. Please believe me, that that situation is worse for me than for you. The problem of program is in ActiveX controls, who are basic part of Microsoft Visual Basic where is program made in. I'm searching solution for that problem. If somebody had an idea, comment or something else what can help me, mail me to

silenymurdock@volny.cz or R.Henys@seznam.cz please. Don't send viruses or bombs please

So, I sorry abou the problems you maybe had with program and about my English which is doesn't perfect.

Mad Murdock

---

http://bojler.olomouc.com/cgi-bin....=3;t=52

---

dont worry about it, your still helping the community.

What features does this cool editior have that the offical one doesnt??

So basicly the editor works? Alright then, where it's possible to get it and in which way is it better of build in mission editor? wink.gif