Sign in to follow this  
Adammo

Testing netcode settings

New Dedicated OFPR Server conclusions:

EDIT

All this is with NETCODE SOCKETS

Only Tweak IM SWEC server uses i MaxMesgSend. We dont use MinBandwith anymore.

My experience is that MaxMesgSend should be around = 10 x (number of players for server)

Our server handles more or less 35 ppl on any map so we use MaxMesgSend = 10 x 35 ~ 384

If you increase MaxMesgSend to High, and have many ppl on the server, the flops will drop to 1.

Question:

I have asked it before but never got an answer. Does MaxMesgSend have to be a number evenly divided by 64?

The big difference for us was moving the server outside the Lan router/switch, which was caping the bandwith use. Before the server only used 700 kBit/s, now it can use more than 2 500 kBit/s if we are many ppl. Now we have the server DIRECTLY to the internet.

The other experience is that the CPU is the limit, if you have more than 5 MBit.

Min Bandwith (upload from server) per player is between 56-130 kBit/s, depending on map choice.

You wont need more than 512 MB memory no mather how many players you are or what map you play. Spend money on fast memory instead.

No need for an expensive graphic card; we use a seven year old 2d/3d from Leadteak and still get excellent performance.

Our Hardware is

P4 2,4@2,7 with FSB 150 (600 in Intel world...) runing 512 MB DDR @ 384 MHz. All on a linux.

The big change for us was changing network topologi, so OFP didn't cape the bandwith use. If your server uses more than 1 000 KBit/s over time, dont worry, but if its always below 800, time to do some networking..

These details seem to make less differance since the "sockets" netcode was introduced. This thread is more for people running 1.46/9 servers (not many of them left as most have seen the benifits of Resistance)