Sign in to follow this  
Tor

Objective opf comparision to other games

Please no "this and that sux".

I would like an objective comparision of OPF to these games:

Delta Force Land Warrior

Spec Ops

Rainbow Six / Rouge Spear

Ghost Recon (is that a sequel to R6 and RS?)

Things that I am interested in are:

1) Terrain (open landscape or "walls" of trees/objects to restrict the players movement)

2) Graphics quality (general and special effects such as smoke)

3) Realism in terms of "hits-to-kill" (do I survive 100 shots?)

4) AI - including control of team

5) Ingame interface (access to different weapons, team command etc.)

6) Anything else that might be interesting to mention (such as I saw someone mention that the houses are better in DF).

1) OFP is way better in terms of size of the maps, the only contender is DFLW but terrain in DFLW still have borders

2)Somew may say that graphics in GR are better, but while texture details are better at close range there is no dynamic LOD like in OFP and models in the distance still have same number of polys as at close ranges

It is really annoying to look at, really bad for the eyes too, image is just tooo sharp

3)OFP is probably still is the leader in this one, although RS is pretty close at second

4) OFP all the way

DFLW had no AI

RS had just sharpshooting/no-thinking AI same as GR

5) Hmmm...... i dunno .....OFP?

6) Vehicles are better in OFP

My cat says "meow" to Ghost Recon and "purr" to OFP.

Now all we need is someone to translate cat language.

This is weird though since I don't have a cat.

My small thoughts tounge.gif

1: OFP rules in this. No other game on your list has such great playingarea. Can be hard to compare RS/R6 in this 'cause they are MAINLY CQB-games.

2:GR is great here, especially the trees that's moving in the wind. I find DFLW-graphic boring. OFP has good graphic with some problems when you're flying, since you can see to far which make woods etc just "appear" from nowhere. This can be dealt with but taxes your computer, need a highend one...

3:All of these games is realistic in damage with OFP and RS/R6 coming out on top.

4:AI is absent in DFLW, sometimes good in R6/RS and almost always good in OFP. Squadmates is cannonfodder in DFLW, needs good planning in R6 since you can't change the plan midmission which you can in RS, but I was dissappointed of the AI in GR. GR is a new game and should have better AI than the old RS...

5:Well OFP has a really nice interface. Can be a little bit hectic to find the right command in the middle of a battle though. I do like RS-interface, works well for me. Didn't like GR's interface. Way to small map.... DFLW, well it worked.

6:OFP rules the vehicles! No other game on that list gives you the opportunity to drive a vehicle(well ok, there is a rubber-boat in DFLW).

That was my humble opinions....

biggrin.gif

Operation Flashpoint is the best. Way beyond any other game. Nevertheless there are some aspects of gameplay that are slightly better in other games:

In Rogue Spear you have more opportunities to do things with the environment: You can rescue hostages, take prisoners, defuse bombs and break doors with explosives or shotgun (or you can silently manipulate the lock to open it). All of that is pretty fun.

NOTHING in Ghost Recon is actually better. Some buildings and parts of the landscape have more details than OPFP, but that does not enhance the overall feeling.

I bought Medal Of Honor Allied Assault some weeks ago, but I have allready gotten rid of it, I hated it.

As far as I'm concerned, the only games a Flashpoint player needs other than OPFP is Rogue Spear. Is there anybody who has any other suggestions? What about Project IGI? It seems quite allright to me, but I have never played it.

The english world war II game Hidden and Dangerous is a little bit nice, though. At least in Sweden is it sold really cheap nowdays, and it gives at least a couple of day's entertainig gaming. In one of the missions I had gotten my squad civilian clothes (that were hung out to dry) and then, when moving on a street, trying to stalk the germans, we all got rum over by a TRAM! That was cool.

Add to that that two of the original programmers has redone Hidden & Dangerous to be able to use the new gfx-cards and the special effects that they use. Much better graphic now and they will also ship a mission-editor to it.

Read more of it here

And to say something about IGI: STAY AWAY FROM IT! biggrin.gif It was possibly one of my biggest dissappointments. It seemed so promising but in the end it was no more than a glorified shooter with stupid AI, you could easily carry 100+ kg of equipment and only saved games BETWEEN levels. Was that annoying or what? Nope, no fun. Hopefully IGI2 will be better but I doubt it...

i didn't enjoy medal of honour as much as i thought i would, i think i had high expectations that weren't forfilled, much like Black & White. Medal of Houour being based around the quake III engine has superb buildings and the snowy village level was a joy because it was so well modelled. flashpoint just isn't like that. yet any large areas sufered on medal of honour because of the complexety of the engine. I think OFP is a great compromise between great graphics and flowing gameplay. thanxs for letting me rant.