Sign in to follow this  
maskedgamer

Question about cd-key rights / use

Can I use my cd key purchased from Petergames.de with an English version of the game if I borrow it from a friend? If not, is there any way for me to sell the German version which was download only? I tried to reach out to them to get some support, but so far they have been total jerks.

Well, I was able to use my key on and NA copy after they released the v1.14 patch to get rid of the cd check. This was a downloaded version from Morphicon??, so I think once this happens to ArmA II you should be able to do the same thing.

I hope I am right on this statement......

I'm pretty sure the license will say something like "for the original purchaser only." In 2009 selling, lending, or trading trading a video game is a crime and a sin even if only one person has it installed at any particular time. Publishers consider it a "problem" that needs "fixing" since it's seen as a drain on their revenue.

With console DVDs it's hard to prevent so they don't try. With boxed PC games it's in the license not to resell but they can't enforce it. Once you get into D2D, Steam, and environments where the publisher actually has real power the motive for restriction kicks in.

Right but Petergames doesn't work like steam, it's more like a cd-key distributor more than anything else. It allowed me to download the german client once.

So with that said, I'm not allowed to sell it? I have no intention of using the German version again.