Sign in to follow this  
datter

A warning about ArmA2 and video card temps at menu screens

Just want to confirm the original post!

Left computer for a 15 minute coffee break. Got back, computer sounded like a rocket ship.

At menu (world=empty):

- FPS: > 256

- GPU temps > 65C.

Edit: Can someone, having Arma 1 installed, confirm that it happens there as well. My GTS 8800 stopped working after similar coffee break a year ago...

Edited by Baxalasse

I've been doing just that since FALLOUT 3 killed my last card. I don't mind though, if a house fan will help me play my games better, I'm all for it.

Think they need to make computers with full size box fans as side panels from now on.

Some of them have 250mm fans on the side. I have one with 2 120mm fans (front/back) and a 250mm fan on the side, and holy crap I've never seen my temps drop so low. It's hard for my overclocked GTX 275 to hit over 60 (and my OC'd Q9550 at 3.6Ghz to hit 45).

Just for info:

I currently use a 8800GTS and for the first time in my PCs lifetime (5 years) I heard the overheat alarm while playing ArmA2. Now, I have to take the side off the PC and blow a floor fan into it to keep the temps down. Also, I'm getting more & more video corruption. I think ArmA2 is wrecking my card.

Just to update: since 1.03 I haven't heard any overheat alarms :)

It seems some ArmA2 menu screens can cause your GPU temps to climb out of control

That only happens if you turned Vertical Sync off in drivers. This causes the menu to run with hundreds of FPS instead of your monitor frequency (e.g. 60fps) and that will heat up your graphics card.

The same with all other games or game menues which run that fast.

I thought I'd pass this along for general knowledge, just in case someone happens to hit escape and leave their computer for awhile only to come back and find a fried video card (or worse).

Its not that ArmA 2 Menue heats up the graphics card like insane, just like every other 3D-Program running fast will heat up the voltage transformer on the card. There will be no problem with graphics cards running at stock clocks, and if your overclocked card gets too hot then you OCed to much or get better cooling ;-)

I prefer to turn vertical sync on. You get same performance as before, no hot menues and frames will not get cut in half while turning around ingame (like on this picture http://www.nhancer.com/help/images/VSync.png. )

Edited by Cionara