Sign in to follow this  
cadmium77

OK so how do I make this artillery aiming window work?

I've set up the artillery vehicle thusly;

3737024264_f9f15273f0_o.jpg

Note that I've inserted this script so the vehicle does't blow itself up;

Why does the MLRS blow up when I try to use it as a player?

You need to add an Artillery Module magazine with the rocket artillery for it to work properly. Try doing the following in the init field of your MLRS:

this addMagazine "ARTY_12Rnd_227mmHE_M270";

Feel free to remove the current magazines before doing this.

Why can't I get the targeting system to work?

Ensure that you have one of the listed Artillery Module magazines loaded into the vehicle you are using.

And so I'm able to get the Artillery Targeting Window to open up like this with ENTER and then TARGET ARTILLERY;

3736231371_f80a5124f2_o.jpg

So what do I do now to get it to hit the target I choose?

I mean sure, I can get it to fire the rockets but not at a specific target. How do I use that pop up Targeting Window?

OK, so if I go to M for Maps then the Artillery Targeting Window appears superimposed over the area where it's localized but if I use the pointer to try to click and target a spot on the map with it, all it does is gives the move order. to that spot instead.

But I don't want to move....I want to blast the crap out of a chosen spot on the map with high explosives from a great range.

3736292137_355f466470_o.jpg

Edited by Cadmium77

That's not how it works. You slew the gun around and the map shows where rounds will land. The map is a passive feedback of your aiming direction.

That's not how it works. You slew the gun around and the map shows where rounds will land. The map is a passive feedback of your aiming direction.

:mad: That's not a very realistic model of artillery aiming!

And the map gives no feedback of where anything is going to fall...it shows nothing active in it...no crosshairs or anything...

Damn this looks complicated;

http://arma.ghostaholic.com/page.php?al=solo_script

And will this work for Arma II?

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2121

Edited by Cadmium77

And neither is "map click."

Seriously, the way it works currently, it does require a fair amount of user input to get the elevation correct.

And neither is "map click."

Seriously, the way it works currently, it does require a fair amount of user input to get the elevation correct.

OK, I've got the artillery map up but there's no reticule or crosshairs or any other aiming system apparent on the artillery sub map that appears. It just moves around in a rather paradoxical way in response to the swing of azimuth and elevation of the rocket launcher.

How do I aim this sucker within the minimap?

Oh wait, I just found a little GUI thing in the Artillery Minimap..

3737997600_0a5487e7b9_o.jpg

How does that sucker work?

Edited by Cadmium77

An-225 do you know how to do it and can you spell it out.

I'm having the same problem

Eh, I'm not the best person to ask on this.

All I can advise, is that the OP set it up correctly, adding the proper units involved and the right ammunition for the arty. As I discovered while testing it on Utes, there is a minimum range for the arty, and only when you have the barrel elevated past that range, will you get the GUI to work properly.

I myself, am clueless on how to actually use those fall lines. I'll experiment on Chernarus, and see if I can find out.

Agreed. The best method is to have a little pocket calculator that you type the gun coordinates, the target coordinates, and then the azimuth/elevation of the gun is spit out for the solution. That would be the most realistic and would be easier to code, but BIS devs are dumb butts.

And the map gives no feedback of where anything is going to fall

It does if the round fall is going to happen on the map at a normal distance. If you aim to near or too far the map will not show the fall since it is ill-defined. Also the MLRS interface is broken. Try the M119 or the M252 instead.

Agreed. The best method is to have a little pocket calculator that you type the gun coordinates, the target coordinates, and then the azimuth/elevation of the gun is spit out for the solution. That would be the most realistic and would be easier to code, but BIS devs are dumb butts.

It does if the round fall is going to happen on the map at a normal distance. If you aim to near or too far the map will not show the fall since it is ill-defined. Also the MLRS interface is broken. Try the M119 or the M252 instead.

Well thanks for straightening that point out. It did seem to be a rather jumpy motion to moving that map around.

in the picture you've posted in post #5 in this tread, you can clearly see where the rounds is going to hit.

The Blue and red lines that you move around by moving the "barrels" of the artillery unit around, shows the impact area