Sign in to follow this  
gruber

Chat logs from the server

Does anyone know where the chat logs are on the server i can find the server logs but they don't contain the chat logs any ideas.

Strange enough i dont think they exsists, although this would be very handy in admining a server. As admin cant be on 24/7 this would be a great way to find peps that is ruining a game by tk or trashing things. Bis have never been, and im afraid never will be famous for making it easy to admin a mp-server.

i agree for those admins that can't be available 24/7 having chat recorded in the netlog would be a very usefull function.

since afaik the netlog funstion is still to be added to the dediserver exe you should go post this in the wishlist and hopefully they will look at into it at some point in the future.

since all chat on an MP server has to be sent to and from the server there should be a way to keep records of it all.

it would probably bloat the netlog file by a serious amount, however if server admins want to use it, it should be available, imo

There are already a couple of this threads including my own because no matter what i do or try the netlog or filelog just wont work and in that case it is fake a myth ;)

ohh yer and thats cuz the arma2Server.exe is not final - when a final server.exe are out the logs will work, but the chat will not be logged - it never have been in Arma1 and i havnt heard that i will be in Arma2, but we can hope.

I think, that there's a big problem to the right of privacy - at least in the EU.

You should - as admin - be able to prove that you informed everyone in writing about the logging of his utterings. ;-)

If I were BI I wouldn't deliver it.

If I were a server-owner, I wouldn't activate it.

It's about storing personal data, very personal maybe, when you are only gaming with a close friend.

Sure it's sometimes difficult to find out, who is beyond a nickname. But that's only a matter of time.

My opinion.

I say this after some frustrating games where I would have liked the admin (if there was one) to kick or ban a few kiddies who shot any of our own choppers taking up from our base intendly.

Dorph]when a final server.exe are out the logs will work' date=' but the chat will not be logged [/quote']

I dont care about the chat it is that i want to ban after they played.

Like i said there are more threads of this but what ever i read or done it just dont work.