Sign in to follow this  
Schilly

Global Scripts, Animations, ect...

I have been working on a training map for my unit for a while now... Making a firing range, ect.. I have run into a snag or two.

Firstly, the range is started by a script being executed by running an action that is available on a notice board. Afterwhich there is a series of hints.

For example:

- Player starts the range and the following hints happen:

hint "Range starting in 5...";
sleep 1;
hint "Range starting in 4...";
sleep 1;
hint "Range starting in 3...";
sleep 1;
hintSilent "Range starting in 2...";
sleep 1;
hintSilent "Range starting in 1...";
sleep 1;

Then during the range it's self, it has an auto-updating hint for what target you are on out of 30. (1/30, 3/30, ect...)

Then at the end it posts a hint saying "Range over"... ect... Which will also include the final score of targets hit.

Now the problem I am having is getting the hints to display globally across the entire server. As it stands, the hints only show for the person that started the script. Which I am assuming is due to me not scripting it correctly for mutiplayer.

With all that on the table, my first question is: How can I make a script run globally across an entire server?

Now the second issue I am having is, trying to figure out if the target was actually hit. I have done this in the past using a "_obj addEventHandler ["Hit", ...];" However I have found out that this is also a singleplayer thing, and does not function correctly in a multiplayer setting.

With that being said, my section question is: How would I go abouts seeing if a target was knocked over, in a multiplayer setting.

Below I have posted the script I am using for the target's... Random popup, ect... Perhaps I have scripted it incorrectly for global use.

The notice board runs this script: r_start.sqs...

nul=[target] execVM"popup.sqf";

Which runs this script: popup.sqf...

nopop = true;

_targets = [l1t1, l1t2, l1t3, l1t4, l1t5, l1t6, l1t7, l1t8, l1t9, l1t10, l1t11, l1t12, l1t13, l1t14, l1t15, l1t16, l1t17, l1t18, l1t19, l1t20, l1t21, l1t22, l1t23, l1t24, l1t25, l1t26, l1t27, l1t28, l1t29, l1t30];

{_x  animate["terc",1]} forEach _targets;

hint "Range Starting in 5...";
sleep 1;
hint "Range Starting in 4...";
sleep 1;
hint "Range Starting in 3...";
sleep 1;
hintSilent "Range Starting in 2...";
sleep 1;
hintSilent "Range Starting in 1...";
sleep 1;

_foo = 1;
_hc = 0;

while {_foo<31} do {
hintSilent format["Firing Range Active\n-------------------------------------\nCurrent target: %1/30.", _foo];
_rnumber = random 30;
_rtarget = _targets select _rnumber;
_rtarget animate["terc", 0];
sleep 2;
_rtarget animate["terc", 1];
_foo = _foo + 1;

sleep random 5;
};
hint format["Safeties On, Range Inactive!\n-------------------------------------\nFinal Score: %1/30.", _hc];

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Noone has any ideas as to how one would go abouts doing this?

download this script

http://tajin.evilhosting.de/arma/mp_chat.sqf

put it in your missionfolder and call it with:

nul=["text","hintS"] execVM "mp_chat.sqf";

first parameter is the text you want to display, second parameter is how you want to display it and 3rd/4th parameter is only needed in some cases.

Its not fully tested but it should allow you to send out any kind of textmessage there is to all clients.

globalchat, sidechat, cutText and so on.

Just replace your "hint" commands with the execVM of the script.

Works perfectly Tajin.

Have you any ideas about the animationPhase problem I am having?

Anyone have any ideas on the issue of seeing if the targets were hit in mutiplayer?

How you got that mp_chat.sqf to work? I tried to make it show text trough vehicles init field (nul=["text","vehicle"] execVM "mp_chat.sqf"), and trough trigger, but nothing...

I could only get it to work with hint and hintS

Its pretty much useles for init-fields anyway, any code in an init-field will be executed on all clients. There is no need for the script in that case.

Other chattypes DO work, however the commands for them are simplyfied in the script.

For example, if you want to use it for "globalchat":

nul=["text","global",someunit] execVM "mp_chat.sqf";

you'll only have to type "global", "side", and so on... not "globalchat".

However all these parameters can be easily found out by looking into the script. It may even help you to understand some basics about scripting. ;)

Edited by Tajin

Im not stupid =)

nul=["test","global"] execVM "mp_chat.sqf";

doesn't show anything at all, only hint and hintS works

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

i tried to execute that line in a trigger set to true, 1 second delay,and nothing...

Im not stupid =)

Well, not more stupid than I. ^^

For not telling you that "global" ofcourse only works if you tell the script who shall do the talking.

You need a third parameter here.

heheh!

Sry, im a bit blind here too, didn't read the code well and make a mistake, works like a charm now =)

Thank you!

one more question concerning the MP text script, the cutText part.

I still havent figure out what i need to put to make it work.

Code looks like this (inside the script)

case "cutText":
{
	_init = format["cutText ['%1','%2',%3]",_text,_par1,_par2];	

_text is quite obvious (even for me xD), but i don't know what to do with _par1/2 ? Otherone has to be "plain/plain down etc", but which one and what i need to fill in to the other _par?

Edited by Carpaazi

the argument uses format ["text","type",speed] or ["text","type"]. If speed is not given, it's assumed to be one.

_par2 is speed