Sign in to follow this  
kylroy

Me doing chinhook-mission(god,i love this game!)

after completing the 2 campaignes I decided to do some solo-missions. Finally I landed at CHINHOOK. Wow! I never flew this baby. So, let's begin.

Starting in the air I found out pretty soon that this heli is as agile as a B-52. But 300mph is impressing (50 more than the Apache-A), not bad for this old indian. First built in the 1960s, methinks. But back to the mission. After I dropped my troops I thought its time for some fun, because I always was the „experimentesque“ kind of pilot (Falcon 3/4 and Fighters Anthology could be my witness). I flew near the peak of a high mountain and made an approach to land.....luckily it was no problem. So this big heli sat on a not very flat type of ground. But what was that?! It began to skid!!! after a mild shock I enjoyed my ride towards the valley. I was also glad the craft did not turn over. Suddenly I received a distress call of a platoon being in jeopardy. Of course: now when I had some real fun...! but a much better reason for takeoff was closing rapidly. Big forest ahead. I decided to avoid any contact with trees and started the engine. The rotor blades were accelerating slowly....the trees were closing fast! I started furiously hitting the „up-button“ as the trees were about 50 meters ahead. Then this baby was really beginning to ascend. I was sure the gear would hit the top of a tree but it went smooth over it. So I'm sure the favourite cap of Dimitri Lukin would not have fit between.

Collecting the beaten up troops was no further problem, as I encounterd no enemy. Flying back to the base was uneventful. But on my approach I had the glorious and absolutely sensless idea to order my gunner to bail out. He did without whining and 5 seconds later I got the message: '2 is down'. My first thought: of couse he is down, he jumped out! Wait a minute...down does mean he is dead! As always! I did not watch it, but he must have jumped out of the heli without a parachute. THAT IS DEVOTION TO ORDERS! confused.gif

kylroy

Thats a good mission that. First time I played it I landed the chinook first time, second time and ever since. Got a few dints in the thing there must have been a Shilka somewhere near, there were a few targets around. But that mission was easy not to mention fun.

My first mistake in this mission was not reading the briefing, so I thought I had to land to let my passengers disembark tounge.gif

So I did a few attempts to land on this damn mountain. I managed to land but also began to skid like kylroy. After a complete turn over my chopper was history. The nex try I realised my passengers were parachuters and everything followed was piece of cake biggrin.gif

The other day when a friend was over I did this mission again. While landing to pick up the troops I flipped the chopper onto its top and it was flipping from one side to the next (on ground of course). After that tho it was on its side moving in a circle which I found amusing as the troops were all there trying to clime into a chinook that was as I said on its side and spinning. After this my friend took over the controls and tried to get the chopper to take off from its side (it was still spinning on the spot on its side), with a cargo of red raced dead americans on board. He then jumped out while the thing was still spinning on one side and start lobbing grenades at it, trying to blow it up. After that we had to quit the mission due to a shortage of grenades and after using all the ammo on it (there were a few dead americans outside of chopper to get grenades from but he used them all missing the target most of the time). My first mission went according to plan the first time i played this mission... this time however was completely different which is whats good about OFP.

well, my mistake was underestimating enemies.

I never expected Shilkas around, and was fired upon as I reached drop-zone. managed to survive though. tounge.gif

err... am i the only one who find piloting helo's easyer than being a grunt or commanding a tank ? tounge.gif

i mean ok i do use a Joystick and im a flight sim fanatic... (even thought i still manage to make a big smokeing hole with the aircrafts)

I like flying the Russian gunships (Mi17). I am good in tank fights (T80). I don't like being in infantry much but its good for what it is. I was just messing around in the mission. I finished it the first time round so there was no need to finish it again. I never flew it before and the first time I did I was perfect at it. That say something?

hehe.. im getting pretty darn good at "tail landing" those things...

i mean you come in fast (near full speed) and about 200 meters before touch down i pull up so the chopper nearly stand on its tail and cut the trottle, and jam the collective to the bottom. then when i reach about 40 kmph i level out and begin to apply collective to make it a smooth landing.

a thought nut to master (heh... i havent seen anybody else than me thats able to pull that trick on our LAN so im nearly always in a transport chopper)