Sign in to follow this  
Kyle_K_ski

Need great locations for urban ops...

In another week, I should finally be able to get a chunk of time to really dip my hand into some mission editing. I'm a little bit more familiar with OFP's editor, so I already started setting up a MOUT type encounter at a great urban location on the Arabia island.

What I want to do is develop a similar mission concurrently for ArmA, but since I just acquired this title, the most that I've done is build up a mass of mods for it.

The quick look that I did in ArmA's editor seems to indicate that the overwhelming majority of the locations supplied on the default islands are closed off to being entered. I'm looking for the exceptions to what I saw.

I would like your advice as to which islands and their cities/towns would be optimal for having numerous buildings that can be ENTERED and where AI can be placed. Custom islands that are available for download are fine by me, as are modded buildings that supply open doors/hallways/transparent windows with assignable positions for AI, which from the file hunting I've done, appear to be quite few.

If it's not too much trouble, when you make your island recommendations and their cities, could you give a rough idea where the city is at on the map? Like, "There's plenty of enterable buildings within a large town called ABC on the island of ABC, and it's located south and slightly east of the island's center."

I'll be eagerly awaiting your replies! Thank you!

Oh, and anything that I make that's deemed worthwhile by me will be posted for public consumption!

:)

I think the majority of buildings in Arma are "closed" though, of course, every city usually has some that are "open". I just don't think anyone's going to have that info off the top of their head. Any city is probably just as like as any other with the exception being custom maps.

Since you just picked up Arma, you may not be aware but intra-building encounters is probably the weakest area of combat in Arma. I hate moving inside buildings because I constantly get stuck. Heck, sometimes I have trouble moving through a simple archway.

Why are thinking of using open buildings - just curious? If you're thinking CQB, you can forget it - that gets really ugly in Arma. There is a mod out there I just read about that changes the soldier's collision model (or whatever) but it seemed to be exploitable (seeing/shooting through walls IIRC).

well for cities with alot of enterable buildings you should take a look at corazol(the city on the border between north and south sahrani) and generally in the north as there are more enterable buildings in the north then in the south.

for mods i would say avgani and afgan village (although not a city you could say its build-up terrain) both of them have a decent amount of enterable buildings and are also excellent maps, further you also have tatawin wich has some huge cities and it uses the default BIS buildings, although i think that certain cities and towns are formed unnaturaly but nevertheless its an excellent map.

currently im am also trying to turn antigau (island north of sahrani with airfield on it) into a dense city using 3DE, and as for now im only using buildings that can be entered but at the rate im am working right now it might take several weeks until im finished, also i only planned to use it myself and i dont think ai will work properly in it as im using alot of fences, walls and buildings wich are put close against eachother.