Sign in to follow this  
CharveL

Using rudder pedals for gas in vehicles

It's great that we can now use more than one controller (thanks for stepping up this time!) but I was hoping someone could point me in the direction to adjust the response curve the game uses.

I have my rudder pedals set up as a gas pedal for driving vehicles which actually works according to the amount of depression being proportional to the speed you want to go. However the only problem is that from stop to full speed is only available in the last 20% of pedal depression. In other words you have to have the pedal down to 80% before going anywhere.

I'd like to see if there's a config solution to allow full travel of the pedal to be used. I have CH rudder pedals and the toe brake works on it's own axis of course. I can have some adjustment of response curve in the Control Manager software but not enough to stretch that last 20% out to full travel.

Any ideas?

Car forward and car reverse are available as axes now? This is new to me.

EDIT: Ah, you give BIS too much credit. The car forward and car reverse commands are not continuous axis control but binary on/off controls just like a keyboard. BIS lets you assign an axis to one of these binary controls and it is simply on above 80% axis and off below 80% axis. This is a limitation of the game.

You migh be able to get a faux axis going by splitting the gas pedal axis into three bands and assigning each band to slow forward, forward, and fast forward. But you cannot have continuous axis control over any of these.

Edited by Frederf

Don't know what to tell ya but I do indeed have linear axis control albeit in a small envelope. I can go very slow at a creep below normal "slow" speed up to full out.

Because of the smaller envelope it may indeed be incremental, divided amongst the keyed speed settings but it's there. Try mapping a control axis to "car fast" and you'll get the full range. I even have it mapped to walk/run!

If it's triggering the 3 different preset speeds I can certainly live with that but it would be nice to have some control over where they trigger on the axis.

This is something major I would like to see in A2, is the ability to use axises for control, along with analog throttle. Last thing I want to do is to turn into a fence because it doesn't work properly with my racing wheel.

Yeah, my mistake, I too get the same behavior for the "accelerator" touchy but definately more than just the 3-speed banded behavior.

EDIT: I've found that turning up the sensitivity in the controllers>customize section spreads out speed range in a more useful configuration.

Edited by Frederf