Sign in to follow this  
deltron

How I fixed my crashing / FPS problems...

Okay, just sharing my experience in HOPES that I could possibly help someone else.

I started out with a:

Q6600

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Mobo

4GB DDR2 4-4-4-12

XFX 8800GT 512MB

750 watt PCP&P PSU, yada yada yada...

Every ten to twenty minutes of playing the screen would go black and I'd have to reboot, not to mention the FPS were extremely low (20's tops, low settings), the game was essentially unplayable.

I was on the market for some new crap for my computer anyways so I figured, hey why the hell not, so I bought a new BFG GTX 260 OC edition and 4 more gigs of memory, and now I play the game at all High (Some very high) and avg around 30FPS in the campaign and up to 60 in the editor.

Loving the fucking game now.

I had no hope when buying that hardware because I've heard of people having problems with 8GB of RAM, and the nVidia 2xx series. I guess I lucked out.

I'm sharing my story with you, although it's not practical for most to upgrade hardware for one game, IMO it was worth it.

I wish you all luck on making ARMA 2 work for you! (new slogan?)

good to hear! I guess I've lucked out also because I played ~3 hours of domination a couple days ago and just finished Manhattan SP mission tonight (which took forever...lost track of time but it was many hours) with no crashes or even mission bugs.

I did a fresh install and immediately patched to the newest 1.02 (using the 505 DVD)

Changed my vid drivers from 186.xx to 182.50

I put -maxmem=2047 & -winxp in my shortcut for good measure (not sure if it helps but it doesn't seem to be hurting anything)

Then I used Diskeeper to defrag my HDD; I used the Win7 defrag but was still getting horrid FPS and pauses. After using a "real" defragger the game runs nice and smooth on high/very high (except for post-processing=disabled and terrain detail=normal)

After having the game for a week and playing pretty regularly I haven't had one CTD or mission bug and can maintain ~30FPS one a busy map, and 60+ in the editor.