Sign in to follow this  
aphex187

OC'ing 8800GT 512mb but what too? + Nvidia 3D settings?

Hey guys been messing about with different things to try and get ArmA to run sweet plus look great. This morn i OC'd the 8800 with Ntune (couldn't get Rivatuner to work as it's missing a driver when installing, im using Vista64) to this:

core 680 memory 999, couldn't see the shader slider so just opted for those 2, ran arma and it was ok untill about 5mins into the game and it crashed!

So what i was going to ask is what settings has anyone found to be ok? my card has the stock fan on and im using an Antec Nine Hundred Gaming Case with aall fans on High (http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MTEyOQ==).

One thing im going to do is buy some sort of artic cooler for the GPU as im guessing it's getting too hot and crashing (temp on the GPU was 83oC, idle it's 66).

Thx if any1 can help and sorry for the rushed post im off on the school run! :eek:

One more thing, can any1 give me some pointers on what my settings should be in the 3D settings of the Nvidia control panel? They are as follows starting from Ambient Occlusion right down to the bottom which is v-sync (i have that on becuase of image tearing).

off

off

on

off

none

off

use hardware

off

off

none

multiple display performance mode

off

allow

quality

on

on

off

force on

drivers are 185.05

Hi m8, Q6600@3Ghz / 4GB ram / 8800GT OC ed here

I find these settings best for quality/performance

View Distance: 3000m

Fillrate: 100%

Texture and Video: Very High

2D & 3D: 1680 x 1050

AF: normal

AA: Disabled

Post Process: Disabled

Terrain & Object detail: normal

Shadows: high (if FPS get too low I'll set this to normal but it looks so much better on high)

Latest Nvidia drivers, Win 7 x64

Best cooling and cheapest is Artic Accelero with a 12cm Fan zip tied to it.

Use Quality settings (not high quality) in Nvidia CP (use trillinear and aniso optimization, etc...) FORCE VSYNC OFF like with most high demanding games (use it for all the other games we max out)

My FPS average +40 so I still have some options to turn up if needed (and down if it starts to lag)

Good luck and post back with update

Thx Snow! going to check through your settings now ;)

And holy cow my temp whilst running ArmA was at 95oC!!

changed the settings to:

core bus 656Mhz

memory bus 977Mhz

using direct fan control at 64%

EDIT** Snow what have you got the core/memory bus set at then?

Edited by aphex187

660/950 I believe.

MSI factory overclocked. Get that Accelero with fan first m8, then overclock.

Also I don't think you will squeeze a lot more frames by overclocking you GPU. I would rather overclock the CPU.

Good luck and dont get carried away with overclocking, its a game by itself which can get out of hand (and out of order)

Thx m8! yeah ive only OC'd the FSB on the CPU as im a bit of a pansy (and numpty) when it comes to oc'ing hardware!

Hey again Snow (if you see this!), well i changed my ingame settings along with the 3D settings, OC'd the CPU to: FBS 310 and voltage at 1.35 and the speed is now 2.56 and it's running much smoother so thx m8!

np, I'm glad you got it running better m8.

Now stop overclocking and play the game ;)

Have fun m8, maybe cu around in multiplayer

Haha yeah bud! look out for me im Hopesy btw ;)