Sign in to follow this  
clamsolo

Commander needs help - anyone?

In Arma 1, I ended up playing Warfare almost exclusively with a group of buddies. As the most experienced player, I would usually play as Commander, so I became quite familiar with the role and, in the end, we were consistently beating the AI opponent in 2-3 hours.

In Arma II, I've gone through the tutorials, created servers using the War Welcome and Superpowers mission types, voted myself Commander but I am unable to be effective because things have changed and I don't know how to do the things I did in Arma 1.

Can anyone explain how to do the following in Arma 2? Alternatively, can someone point me to some documentation on how to be a Commander in Arma 2? I've been scouring the forums but haven't found anything.

1. Identify other human players on my team using the map - I can't see any identification on the map that tells me which units on my team are human controlled and who they are.

2. Provide waypoints to human controlled units - in Arma 1 Warfare, each of the 8 units on my team would be headed up by a human player. I could hit the "T" key, click on Command Teams, select the team and assign a waypoint.

3. Allow AI controlled units to proceed without direct commands. In Arma 1 Warfare, each AI controlled team would take off and start capturing towns without waiting for an order. From what I can tell, Arma 2 requires you to command each move - otherwise the units just sit around at the base.

4. Switch unit type - In Arma 1 Warfare, I could select each group and switch the unit type from Infrantry to Tank etc. I can't find a way to do this in Arma 2.

I've been looking for these answers too.

If you ALT-Space, it will bring up the high command menu, then you can give waypoints to the AI units. But I cant figure out how to build more AI (that are not in my group).

Some comments, though I am still working a lot of this out myself.

3. If you can figure out how to create a general Capture task (I can't, but I have done it by accident once), then the AI will automatically head towards this. You won't need to specify particular Teams follow that objective/waypoint.

4. Under the High Command menu (CTRL+SPACE) there is a section called Teams. If you click on that, you get a list of all Teams and then after selecting one, you can change the Type.

Any chance you have answers to some of my questions?

1. AI Won't Purchase Troops

I have Teams that have thousands of dollars, but are only half full. They are under AI control, but rarely seem to spend the cash. The base has one of everything bar an airfield, and the buildings are not 'in use', so it is not like they CANT buy troops .. they just don't (at least not as often as they should)

2. Dead Teams Never Reform

Once a team loses all of its men, I can not get it to re-hire/re-buy troops. It will just stay with zero troops for ever. I have 3 teams in my current game that have over $10,000 and they won't buy a damn thing. I have tried to re-apply the AI (it was never off), selected Respawn etc without any change. The only work-around I found to this is to buy units myself and then transfer them to the Team with no members.

3. Can't Create New Teams

I assume that I should be able to make more than the 8 teams I am assigned at the start of the mission. I have tried purchasing Team Leaders for myself, but can only assign them to a 'colour', not to a new Team (i.e. team number 9etc)

4. Can't Create Capture Points

I can set waypoints for Teams and then edit them to say Seek & Destroy, but I can't edit the waypoint to say Capture ... no idea what I am doing wrong here.

5. Request Cash from AI Controlled Teams

Is it possible to get money back off the Teams run by the AI?

I know how to transfer money TO them, but can I get cash back OFF them????

I think I am slowly answering my own questions here ... anyone else feel like chiming in???

1. AI Won't Purchase Troops

I think this may be because I ordered all my troops to advance, and you can only buy troops when you are near a barracks/factory etc. So essentially, all of my troops are out in combat with no way to replenish their forces. The obvious way to solve this is to uproot your MHQ each time you take a new town, drive there, and then build a new barracks etc. That way there is always a close source for your team to replenish their forces.

Not sure if you figured it out already but you can create capture missions by doing the following:

1. CTRL+Space so that you see the list of teams

2. Right click (or left lol) on a town and you should see the Capture option in the menu.

If you own the town you can set the ratio of supply to defence as well.

Plz tell me if it works for you, if not i'll try and be more descriptive.