Sign in to follow this  
Vlad_13

Helicopter CONTROLS

I've got an Xbox360 controller and a Thrustmaster Hotas X. The Xbox controller sticks are very sensitive (being very small) and show large changes (monitoring DirectInput in Xpadder) to the slightest touch, whereas the Thrustmaster has somewhat of a built-in deadzone (not massive but still requires pushing against the springs, you can put your hand on it and shake it and it doesn't register anything) and (being a larger stick) any movement registers much smaller changes.

I'm just wondering if anyone has got some good settings for these controllers? At the moment I'm using the ones below, but I find adjusting the pitch of helos a bit fiddly and have to keep nudging the stick forward or back and then letting it center, which almost feels like just tapping a key rather than using a stick. I'm focusing on using the Thrustmaster myself, the Xbox controller is more for my friend to play gunner but it would be nice if I could get it setup for flying as well. I have mapped the stick-twist to the Pedals rather than Turn. I also tried mapping the Throttle to analogue, but that totally doesn't work for some reason and drops me out of the sky once it gets to mid-point or below! It works reasonably well mapped to the non-analogue controls, although it could do with being a bit more sensitive/precise.

controller="Default";
sensitivity="High";
vibrations=0;

class Joystick1
{
	guid="75CC0220-332B-11E1-8001-444553540000";
	name="Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)";
	offset=256;
	isXInput=1;
	sensitivity[]={0.75,0.75,0.75,1,1,1,1,1,0.75,0.75,0.75,1,1,1,1,1};
	mode="Custom";
};
class Joystick2
{
	guid="07EE9440-7366-11E1-8001-444553540000";
	name="T.Flight Hotas X";
	offset=512;
	isXInput=0;
	sensitivity[]={0.75,0.75,0.75,1,1,1,1,1,0.75,0.75,0.75,1,1,1,1,1};
	mode="Custom";

OK, I see that the numbers correlate to the Axis as follows:

AXIS_X_POS AXIS_Y_POS AXIS_Z_POS ROT_X_POS ROT_Y_POS ROT_Z_POS SLIDER_1_POS SLIDER_2_POS

AXIS_X_NEG AXIS_Y_NEG AXIS_Z_NEG ROT_X_NEG ROT_Y_NEG ROT_Z_NEG SLIDER_1_NEG SLIDER_2_NEG

and looking at how I've mapped my Thrustmater Hotas X in Arma, it seems that my X and Y Axis are my stick, the Z_rotate is the twist (mapped to pedals) and the Z Axis is my throttle, so I only have to worry about four figures on each line.

Still, if someone knows some good settings (for the Xbox controller as well), please share as it will save me a lot of trial and error.

This is one of the things in arma 2 that i think are the best i use the mouse and MAN this is soo realistic And exact same as real life .

Should be obvious...this is not arcade BF where you turn your helo on a tighter area than a tank can. First lesson you learn when you come from an action shooter to ArmA...it doesn't work the BF way ;)

I fly uh-60's for realzies. You can absolutely apply pedal and "crab" the aircraft even once the tail-rotor is off loaded above 100 kts, though its not much you can still put in SOME correction, which this game does not allow. Otherwise my IP wouldn't always be bitching at me about the trim ball :)

The biggest improvement I can see for the helicopter model in this game is providing the pilot with a decent attitude indicator and torque (thrust/power) guage. Granted the Att. ind. is visibile in most of the cockpit schemes i have seen so far but its barely readable and not so accurate. However i haven't seen a single torque indicator and that makes it pretty hard to figure out cruise trq, how much i need to ease off for an approach, max power available, etc. Force trim would also be nice.

Edited by tfphoenixaaslt