Sign in to follow this  
dazmorg

All seems very quiet

I've been away from the multiplayer scene for about a month, I use the ASE and the codemasters chat page but it seems to me that very few people are playing this game online anymore. Most of the servers on ASE are empty and the chat page doesn't seem to work properly.

Have I missed something?

Where is everybody? confused.gif

My history of playing OFP online goes back to v1.10, at that point, I decided that online play wasn't for me. I then tried it again after the 1.3 patch, and while it was better gameplay, the games we're that much better, with teammates constantly TKing and no teamwork whatsoever (I got TKed once because one of my teammates wanted to drive the UAZ and just shot me while I was waiting for him ot get in. Lovely) Since 1.40 came out, i've been playing almost every weekend, and it's hard finding a decent server anywhere. ASE shows very few, especially those that speak my language. I don't know if it's just a overall slow down of OFP or what, but going back from 1.1 to 1.3 to 1.4 and now, there's fewer and fewer public servers. I know lots of you get together with a group of friends and play local lans, but I want to play larger missions, with more guys. I must of read a book in the last month alone while waiting for games to start or finish so I can join. And even then there's the possibiliy of a crash while loading. I keep saying it's just going to get better, it's going to get better, and I hope it will, but I'm after losing so much time waiting around, I'm starting to lose some of that hope.

FWord

dude ive been trying to find a way to either host or join a damn multi player game for this awesome game for weeks.

then i thought of the forums,(just in time to intercept this thread) where are you guys going? oh and by the way, i hate gamespy and the like so if thats is the only way to get on a multiplay for this game im just gonna forget it.

you give me some heads up on where to get some multiplay, and me and about ten others are gonna be there.

spiderman

oh, and another question, this one is about a multiplay map that will allow you to use helo's and tanks in the multi play(mainly the helo's)

spidey

I don't think there has been that much of a slow down, it's just that serious players who enjoy the teamwork aspect of the game have joined squads and play on private servers.

You'll never know the full enjoyment of the game until you do the same. Nothing else can touch it.

I also think its been a slight slowdown... Sadness over the devtools? That and the everlasting GS crap (mostly use ASE though). Why cant they make like MOHAA and make an ingame browser (still GS, but 100x fewer crashes)? Would make life so much easier...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dawdler @ Mar. 11 2002,01:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I also think its been a slight slowdown... Sadness over the devtools? That and the everlasting GS crap (mostly use ASE though). Why cant they make like MOHAA and make an ingame browser (still GS, but 100x fewer crashes)? Would make life so much easier...<span id='postcolor'>

I have to agree with Dawdler on this one. My server has been up since v1.20 and at the start it was constantly busy but (Even more when the v1.30 patch) now I get a hit ever hour or so and then it's usually one player.

It's probably more then just GS but what it could be I don't know. An in game browser like MOHAA is nice but even that (I believe, but I could be wrong) goes through the game spy network which to me is still a waste as the GS network doesn't always seem to get an acurrate ping to the servers.

Damn good game and I enjoy it alot but it has definitely slowed down.

Cheers

Well I can only speak for the US guys over here, not sure where most from this board are but it appears more and more are picking this game up for the COOP missions

Our squad has just received 4 new pps in the last 2 wks, and we don't really SPAM the threads w/ recruiting posts. It's more just talking about it all the time.

Our squad is so active, we pretty much always have 5-6 on and will have others sit in to see if they want to join. We actually played Sat night from 10pmEST to 4am wow.gif

So, I think more people are joining clans/squads so they always can meet up w/ ppl instead of "looking" for a game.

I know that personally I've decreased my OFP gameplay to nill since the discovery of a rather critical dedicated server issue with 1.46. I found it frustrating that a bug, which leads to the server ultimately crashing, that is so easy to replicate, went unnoticed during BIS testing. I've become a bit disenchanted with the game, and I'm sitting on my hands until I feel that they get these problems ironed out.

I'll jack with this Global Operations game that's coming out and perhaps play some more Magic the Gathering Beta until they get it all square.

cg