Sign in to follow this  
axure

armored chopper can be shot down with rifles?!

Ok, so from this video it would seem like the damage mechanism in Arma2 is not exactly working right... A guy is able to shoot down a Ka-52 with an M14 rifle. To me it's quite obvious that:

a) armor should prevent low caliber weapons from inflicting any damage (how big caliber is needed to penetrate armor would obviously depend on how much armor a vehicle has at a given hit spot)

b) when damage is inflicted, it should cause certain functions of a vehicle / human body to fail, and not decrease the amount of "damage points". I thought Arma2 is not an arcade game? Shot in leg - you can't walk (and loose blood). Shot in engine - you can't go. Shot in fuel tank - you explode or just loose fuel. I know some of it works, but it seems like there's also a "hit points" rule, since the Ka-52 was shot down just by shooting sufficient number of times.

Edited by axure

He headshotted the pilot through the glass. That chopper is almost impervious to small arms in other areas except the canopy. Try it in the editor, you'll see. I'm guessing he had to do that for an hour to get it to happen once.

Ok, so from this video it would seem like the damage mechanism in Arma2 is not exactly working right... A guy is able to shoot down a Ka-52 with an M14 rifle. To me it's quite obvious that:

a) armor should prevent low caliber weapons from inflicting any damage (how big caliber is needed to penetrate armor would obviously depend on how much armor a vehicle has at a given hit spot)

b) when damage is inflicted, it should cause certain functions of a vehicle / human body to fail, and not decrease the amount of "damage points". I thought Arma2 is not an arcade game? Shot in leg - you can't walk (and loose blood). Shot in engine - you can't go. Shot in fuel tank - you explode or just loose fuel. I know some of it works, but it seems like there's also a "hit points" rule, since the Ka-52 was shot down just by shooting sufficient number of times.

Shot in leg .. well depends... could still hobble if you life depnded on it and the adrenalin was pumping.

Shot in Engine ... Engine will generally keep going ... Just not that well depending on what you hit, takes a bit to go thru and engine block.

Shot in radiator .. engine will go for a good while depending on terrian / flat / hill etc.

Shot in fuel tank .. please .. no talk about exploding... please please please no. Losing fuel .. sure.. but a 223 round to a tank will still take some time to drain to the point of stopping the vehical (e.g if its in a place where it can get shot... it prob has more problems than running out of fuel).

Apache blades can take a 50 cal round I once heard but the canopy with so many rounds fired into it should be broken I should think

Main problem in that video is how accurate the gun was when fired so quickly

Also the chopper should have shredded him in the first fly past, if not any sensible pilot would have stood off at a distance or flown higher and used chaingun

26warchopper02770488.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/25/1048354604384.html