Sign in to follow this  
Landorin

Dedicated server problem

Hi everyone,

I used the search function but this problem seems not being discussed yet (or I am too stupid to enter the proper search terms).

Well, this is my problem: I want to host an OFP dedicated game but it is not displayed in Gamespy (and I guess for no one else either since nobody ever connects within an hour or two). When laundhing OFP besides and going to LAN games, I find the dedicated myself but on the local IP adress. Seems as if the game was hosted only on the local network adapter... (see below)?

Is it possible that OFP got problems hosting the game on the correct ethernet/network adapter if two network adapters are installed (which is true in my case)?

I disabled my firewall, that is not the problem at all. When I host a normal game (without dedicated), either with Gamespy or without, players do find me (at least with direct IP adress given).

I am using OFP v1.46 as well as the latest dedicated server .exe file.

The only known game I use dedicated servers where the same error occurs is Alien vs. Predator 2. I am not able to try it on other games, unfortunately.

I hope someone can give me a hint or a whole solution.

By the way, the network adapters got assigned IP adresses (192.168.0.1 for LAN adapter and 192.168.0.2 for the adapter that connects to the internet).

Sincerely

Landorin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Landorin @ Mar. 08 2002,14:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Seems as if the game was hosted only on the local network adapter... (see below)?

Is it possible that OFP got problems hosting the game on the correct ethernet/network adapter if two network adapters are installed (which is true in my case)?<span id='postcolor'>

Your explanation is very likely. I think it is not possible to host on two adapters (two IP addresses) at one time. DirectPlay probably automatically selects one of them for you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Landorin @ Mar. 08 2002,14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, the network adapters got assigned IP adresses (192.168.0.1 for LAN adapter and 192.168.0.2 for the adapter that connects to the internet).<span id='postcolor'>

There is a problem with the network configuration. Both addresses are in the same subnet. Take for each card a IP - address in a different subnet and set only on the NIC which connects to the Internet the default gateway.Then it should function.

Hi,

Thanks for both the answers. Seems as directplay can be a real nasty thing. wink.gif

Gismo: I tried what you suggested, I even changed my cables. Now it looks like this:

Network card connecting to the internet: 192.168.0.1 on subnet mask 254.255.255.0

Network card connecting to my LAN: 192.168.0.2 on subnet mask 255.255.255.0

My internet network card also got a lower network card adress than the 192.168.0.2 card (found that out with command "winipcfg") but I still can't host a dedicated server; it is only visible to myself and to my other LAN pc (game found on 192.168.0.1). I also tried it with AvP2 and got a similar result.

I'm using Windows 98 second edition by the way.

Oh, speaking of that, what exactly did you mean by "Take for each card a IP - address in a different subnet and set only on the NIC which connects to the Internet the default gateway"? Why and where should I set a default gateway?

Maybe I should point out my (probably somehow exotic)network configuration. Both network card configurations are shown above. I got an ADSL modem that is connected to the 192.168.0.1 card. However, I can't just simply connect through that card without doing anything as probably is done in most other countries. Due to the ADSL technology in Germany I need to use the RASPPPOE dsl driver in combination with the dial up adapter. Once I "dialed in" with that dial up connection I am online.

Maybe the problem still is that I did not do anything about gateways because I did not understand yet what you meant by that, Gismo.

My PC is the one that is directly connected to the internet while at the same time routing for the other LAN pc (that's why I need two network cards, it was the cheaper solution). So for now, only my other LAN pc got a gateway set (192.168.0.2 since that is the network card that pc is connected to).

So, anybody got an idea?

Oh, and to BI: if you change the network code anyway then maybe you can include an option where the host can select manually the network card if more than one is available. wink.gif

Sincerely

Landorin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Landorin @ Mar. 09 2002,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Network card connecting to the internet: 192.168.0.1 on subnet mask 254.255.255.0

Network card connecting to my LAN: 192.168.0.2 on subnet mask 255.255.255.0<span id='postcolor'>

biggrin.gif hmmmmmmm

You can't change the subnet mask in such a way.

second hmmmmmm smile.gif

A small excursion over IP:

The subnet mask can have worth like 255.0.0.0 or 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 and many other 255.x.x.x - values, but the value can never be 254.255.255.0 !

You can change the subnet mask to 255.255.255.128 . that's possible. Then you have the usable IP - addressrange 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.126 for one card and 192.168.0.129 to 192.168.0.254 for the other card.

As example:

If you want to leave the internet-card on that worth to 192.168.0.1, you would have to adjust the other card in this case to that worth 192.168.0.129 .

If you changed your PC as in my example,you must set the IP for your LAN PCs between 192.168.0.130 and 192.168.0.254 and on all devices, also on the modem, the subnet mask on 255.255.255.128 . Don't forget to set the IP address from the modem as default gateway on your ofp - server, but only at the NIC to the internet and set for  your LAN PCs the IP Address from the ofp -server (192.168.0.129) as  default gateway if they connect to the internet over him.

Additionally your ISP must assign a officially IP address to the modem. If the modem address on page direction Internet is also 192.168.x.x or a other address from a private range you will never be attainable from the Internet.

Without a proper network configuration your server will never run as it is!

Gismo