Sign in to follow this  
RipperFox

Fix memory management & provide arma2_64bit.exe please!

Hi there!

I'm watching the performance threads and have to note that many people have >4 GB RAM and some 64 bit OS nowadays.

I also notice that arma2.exe scratches on my HDD like crayz when loading world elements/textures when moving around..

However:

- I know, as a 32-bit process it's not possible to address more than 2 GB (yeh, w/o tricks - actually I'm aware of PAE too..).

- I use the " -maxmem=2047" startup-parameter, but I haven't seen arma2.exe using more than ~1,2 GB in total in the taskmanager.

(Looks odd - my HDDs scratch like wild loading textures and stuff while I got so much mem free..)

So:

- Why isn't there a 64bit executable which can actually use more than 2 GB?

- Why does the current exe use so little memory?

(hell.. firefox.exe and wow.exe make a better use of their 2GB address space here :)

Greets

RipperFox

I think it must be real hard to stryke a balance or make the app run with as little as 1 GB or use as much as 3? I mean the game does have minimum system requirements.. im just guessing here, im not a programmer.

64bit exe is indeed interesting but my bet is.. time.

The game was made (more or less :D) real fast, i dont think they have an army of programmers working with the engine so my bet is that they made what was possible with the time and resources they had available.

Sound engine, graphics, a.i. precision, multiple core CPU support, etc.. theres already alot of improvemens to it.

Anyway thats just an opinion.

Welcome aboard BTW :) .