Sign in to follow this  
PostaL

distance sound bugs

I've been an ofp player from the beginning. I really like their games but still im surprised now I play arma 2 how many of the same issues that were in operation flashpoint are returning in this game. One of them is the distance soundbug.

In operation flashpoint 1 there were a lot of issues with hearing footsteps from ai soldiers who were walking at the other side of the island. Now in Arma 2 i hear the abrahams tank turret turning sound like im next to it , but in reality im standing 2 miles away from it.

Anyway I guess it will be fixed in a patch.

I got the same thing last night. I bought the German version of Arma 2 and I was HIGHLY disappointed with the sound effects.

Just on the first campaign mission alone, I ended up hearing what sounded like a Truck when I dropped the Doctor off at his hut, and continued hearing it the entire mission. Ended up, once I saw it from the big hilltop, there was a Tank that was driving up and down the street in the village that needed to be lased. This Truck noise was so loud in my headphones that I couldn't hear ANYTHING else. The Tank was like 1.5 - 2 miles away!!!

In the second mission where Team Razor has to take the house near the edge of the woods, and then join the rest of the invasion force, the Birds, Trees, and Crickets, along with the Choppers, VTOL's and whatever else were so loud I couldn't hear diddly!

Is this normal for now, is that being resolved in a patch?

Edited by Sniperdoc

Setting my speakers to quadrophonic in the windows control panel fixed the sound for me. I can even switch back to 5.1 or headphones with the creative audioconsole and it stays ok, which is weird because it's synched with the windows settings.

Win7, Audigy2 ZS.

Well, I looked at my setup. It seems the Creative drivers for Windows 7 don't allow you to go in and change the speaker setup via the Windows interface anymore. I may just not be familiar enough with it to find it, but selecting Sounds in the Control Panel didn't yield a tab with that option, and there was no Speakers option anywhere. I only show the Creative Control Panel with those option.

When playing with the headphones off and having it on 5.1 it sounds OK... (still a major issue with hearing a tank driving a mile away) but as soon as the headphones go on, and creative console changes over to headphones, all effects are out of the window. Everything is dominant and the primary sound. Birds chirping, trees creaking, helicopters and tank sounds etc...

This really needs to be fixed.

I am experiencing this issue as well.

Windows 7, Soundblaster X-Fi using 5.1 headphones.

I'm hearing doors creaking like I was carrying the door on my back and birds chirping as if they sat on top of me, tanks in the distance sound as if you're being run over by them.

If I set it to quadrophonic as kRush suggested it solves the distance problem but losing center and bass speakers is kind of a drag.

Anyone got any ideas to try?

@Sniperoc: If you look in Control Panel -> Sound and under the Playback tab.

You should see something like Speakers and your soundcard just below it, right click on that and you should have the option "Configure speakers".

Should be pretty straight forward from there.

Having the same problem's with the sound's, really not impressed. What were the beta testers doing when they were playing it or did they even bother to test it!

Really not happy!

Funny how 1.02 solved it for you but not others, including me. Anyway, I was playing the 2nd scenario mission and I can be over 1000m away from a tractor, a car, a truck etc and it is SO LOUD. I end up shooting civilians in cars / tractors just so the fucking noise will stop.

It really kills the immersion. I remember it from OP:FP.

Could be similar to the Hardware Accel/EAX sound bug in ArmA (being able to hear vehicles from across the island and annoying as hell). Try disabling them and enabling them one at a time if you haven't already, to see if one of them is causing it.