Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Shadows: Non-Conforming BIS MLODs & other LOD Questions

In my struggle to create convex objects in irregular shaped objects like rocks, I noticed that the BIS rock MLODs shadow LOD's often are neither closed nor convex. Per the Wiki they have to be. How can this be? I get all kinds of problems with the objects I make if the shadow LODs are not convex.

Also, how important is actually bothering with creating the shadow LOD's, fire and view LODs if in fact the system falls back to resolution or geometry LOD if these are not present? (per the Wiki). What impact does having or not having these LODs have? Does it slow the game down or speed it up?

And finally, what is the real definition of "convex" in modeling terms. I know what it means in layman's terms, but it has to be a bit more complicated other wise I won't be having such difficulties. A definition describing the necessary relationships & positions of vectors and/or faces with each other in an object might clear it up for me.

Thanks!

Shadow LODs need to be Closed, Triangulated (control + A to select all faces and press '/' key to triangulate) and have Sharp edges ('U' key).

It doesn't matter if they are convex, not for Shadows i thing.

Creating_Shadow_LODs

Maybe if you try and play around with some faces, and test.. maybe you can arrange some nice definition in your head.

Edit1: I'm not the right person to explain or what is the "convex" definition but i know how to validate it and that's good enough for practical use.

Validating_Geometries

Edit2: Another thing: when you try to create a convex model, make sure the model closed, convexed and also check the faces, repair if necessary to avoid the boring warning message "..Error while trying to generate ST for points:.." ;)

Edit3: Also see this thread, and this (some st errors are not that bad :))

Edited by bravo 6