Sign in to follow this  
MulleDK13

DMM

Would be awesome... CPU expensive, but awesome biggrin_o.gif

Oh yes ... but the cpu would probably melt if it trys to handle a dozen of thsoe animations simultanious.

Maybe it will be implemented in Arma 3 ( wink wink BIS devs)

Why on the CPU when you can offload this to the GPU?

Leave the CPU for asset streaming, data processing and articifical intelligence where it is really needed.

Anyway, I assume Armed Assault 2 will already full utilize most if not all of the GPU's Shader Model 3.0 resources in such a way that they cannot cram this in.

On top of that you need resources in the form of time and money to develop this technology.

And I assume that BIS/BIA wants to have a homebuilt proprietary package, which is superior to middleware packages. (e.g. Linda CG and SpeedTree)

Hopefully Armed Assault 2 will at least have (blended) ragdoll physics.

Why on the CPU when you can offload this to the GPU?

Leave the CPU for asset streaming, data processing and articifical intelligence where it is really needed.

Anyway, I assume Armed Assault 2 will already full utilize most if not all of the GPU's Shader Model 3.0 resources in such a way that they cannot cram this in.

On top of that you need resources in the form of time and money to develop this technology.

And I assume that BIS/BIA wants to have a homebuilt proprietary package, which is superior to middleware packages. (e.g. Linda CG and SpeedTree)

Hopefully Armed Assault 2 will at least have (blended) ragdoll physics.

Couldn't really do this on the GPU, as I'm sure it'll have a hard time doing the graphics already.

ArmA 2 (unfortunately) won't have physics that looks different from ArmA 1.

DMM, that's the overhyped limited-use pre-cracked spammy fud used in The Force-leashed/chained/gagged? No thanks...

ArmA 2 (unfortunately) won't have physics that looks different from ArmA 1.

Well its built on the same engine . They re-done the animations wich is great from my point of view .

It would be great if the soldiers would be knoked down by the shockwave of an explosion.

That would be great for AFVs.

Why offloading the the super work loaded GPU when you have a Quad/Octo core CPU?

Couldn't really do this on the GPU, as I'm sure it'll have a hard time doing the graphics already.

Yeah, unfortunately. I think the same.

Quote[/b] ]Why offloading the the super work loaded GPU when you have a Quad/Octo core CPU?
Current CPU's aren't really as powerful in floating point operations, except for maybe the Cell processor in the Playstation 3.

That is until the Intel Haswell CPU (expected over 1 TFLOPS) scheduled for 2012 will be released.

To give you an example; the new Core i7 965 Extreme Edition does 70 GFLOPS while the HD4870x2 does 2.4 TFLOPS!

CPU's however are extremely scalable and are perfect for artificial intelligence, certain other game physics/dynamics and asset streaming.

You can push artificial intelligence greatly by offloading unnecessary load from the CPU.

Remember that the CPU will have to do other background activities aswell as IP checksums, data forwarding, 8B/10B coding, act as controller processor for some interfaces (PCI Express, SATA, etc.) and audio processing if you don't have audio accelerator DSPs.

The more offloading to the GPU the better.

GPU's also have faster dedicated memory and memory bandwidths.

Mind you, the GPU isn't a graphics processor anymore. The term GPU is outdated as it is a general purpose stream processor (or co-processor) these days.