Sign in to follow this  
gsleighter

Arma2/Oxygen2 modelling questions:

1. Is it okay to have open objects in the Arma engine? On vehicles or men, especially. For instance - If I have an object with a face that will never be seen, like the underside of a commander's cupola, can I just delete the face? That way, I save some polys and don't have to sort through it when I'm UV mapping the model.

2. Is there a way to subdivide faces in Oxygen2? It's nice for some parts to create a primitive and modify it with subdivision and extrusion, but I can't find anything about subdivision after you create an object. This is also good for adding details and beveling edges, since it doesn't look like Arma can do that, either.

1. Yes

2. No, not really, but if you press G to extrude and don't move the face out from the plane, then you're subdividing in a round about way. But you can't further subdivide primitives, just extrude. (or that I've seen?)

Good to know on the first question, I'm glad I asked before trying to UVmap my model, it'll save me some headache.

That's too bad about not being able to subdivide, but I'm not sure I follow what you mean about subdividing by extruding faces.

I also noticed there's a carve boolean function mentioned in the O2 manual, but I can't find the carve tool in the menus at all. Is this an error in the manual for a scrapped feature?

Thanks, Messiah

i meant it more with reference to a flat plane. If you take a flat plane, select it and press G and then use shift+d, you'll have subdivided the plane into 4 segments.

Not sure about the carve function, I've certainly never come across it/used it.

The only place where you can't have open faces is in the shadow lod, geo lod, fire lod etc.

Faces->Split/Hole can be used for subdividing I guess.

I have another question!

Is it important to make only convex corners in Arma modelling? And if not, what effect can concave geometry have when you're getting the thing in game? For example, the taper on my Cromwell's cannon is concave (Less than 180 degrees angle), as will some areas of the armor skirts.