Sign in to follow this  
Lepardi

Sound settings causing massive slowdown

What could be the cause for massive fps drop when hearing loud sounds in ArmA, when Hardware Acceleration is enabled? I am using FDF soundpack now, which has very loud sound on the GAU cannons on planes. The FPS will drop below 20 when I begin to hear the loud sound, and it will immediately go back to where it was before, when the sound ends. For example, I'm flying and I have 140 fps, but when I began to hear the impact sound, it will drop below 20 during the time it is heard. If I do not have HW acceleration enabled, it will stay at 140.

This doesn't happen with normal ArmA sound, or at least the drop isn't noticeable at all.

Specs:

X-Fi Fatal1ty soundcard

C2D E6750 @ 3,2 GHz

HD4870 512Mb

ASUS P5K

4x 1Gb 800MHz DDR2

Have you already asked if it isn't a FDF sound pack bug?

Because especially the GAU has a high rate of fire and if you combine that with a too long lasting sound or a big sound file it could stress a computer.

Do the X-Fi cards have their own RAM which could be to small for an unoptimized sound file?

Have you already asked if it isn't a FDF sound pack bug?

Because especially the GAU has a high rate of fire and if you combine that with a too long lasting sound or a big sound file it could stress a computer.

Do the X-Fi cards have their own RAM which could be to small for an unoptimized sound file?

Well, a friend of mine tested it and he has an X-Fi card, but he experienced no slowdown in game performance.

Do you have "Game Mode" enabled in Audio Console?

On my card (X-fi extreme music) i had issues running Arma in "Entertainment Mode" that disapeared when using "Game Mode".

Do you have "Game Mode" enabled in Audio Console?

On my card (X-fi extreme music) i had issues running Arma in "Entertainment Mode" that disapeared when using "Game Mode".

Of course I have. I can only remove the fps dropping by taking off hardware acceleration from arma. I can immediately see a 30-50 fps improvement straight away when I disable HW acceleration from settings.

I had some problems with my X-Fi in 1.14 until i updated my drivers.

And which drivers are you using now? The latest ones?

And which drivers are you using now? The latest ones?

At that time they were indeed the latest drivers, i havent look at them since. (Version 6.0.1.1304 according to windows, and *i think* 1.04.0079 according to Creative.)