Sign in to follow this  
Rommel

Scope Issues

Now compared to my last thread on OFPEC, for something less trivial (hopefully...)

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

private ["_index"];

_index = switch (startSide) do

{

case WEST: {_index = 0; hint format ["%1", _index]};

case EAST: {_index = 1; hint format ["%1", _index]};

};

hint format ["%1", _index];

_Index Returns <NULL> in the last hint, however it returns the assigned number within the Switch scope. I was aware that the private at the beginning would fix this issue by making the variable applicable to all scopes?

Rommz,

smile_o.gif

EDIT:

Whilst I know that an If command works just as well (and actually works), I am still interested in an answer for this.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_index = switch (startSide) do

{

case WEST: {_index = 0; hint format ["%1", _index]};

case EAST: {_index = 1; hint format ["%1", _index]};

};

if (startSide == WEST) then

{

_index = 3;

};

_Index returns 3; tounge2.gif

This is the way to go smile_o.gif:

private ["_index"];

startSide = west;

_index = (

switch (startSide) do {

case WEST: {0};

case EAST: {1};

}

);

The following will work too:

private ["_index"];

startSide = west;

_index = (if (startSide == west) then {0} else {1});

Xeno

Haha thanks mate, I just edited above post to say I knew that an IF would work, but wasn't sure about why the Switch wouldnt.

Thanks thumbs-up.gif .

Haha thanks mate, I just edited above post to say I knew that an IF would work, but wasn't sure about why the Switch wouldnt.

Thanks thumbs-up.gif .

The switch is working correctly. The switch returns the results of the very last command processed. In your example, the last command processed is:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hint format ["%1", _index]

Obviously, the 'hint' command doesn't return anything, which is why _index is being set to null after the switch.

Yeh thanks mate, Spooner just made me aware of this, I keep forgetting how many people check these forums (both BIS and OFPEC) per hour, I think i'll just keep it localized to one of em unless it gets really hairy.

tounge2.gif

Thanks all. Problems solved.