Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar_Darude

Psychological Warfare

This is the first time ever I post any of my scripts, so be gentle...

***** Ragnar_Darudes/Seconds Psychological Warfare *****

Beta-version

This script was designed with the intent to make playing Arma with CoC’s CEX-mod a

little more like playing Atomix Games Close Combat-series. In that game understanding

the psychology of the soldiers and the use of suppressive fire was vital to mission success.

The infantry also survived a lot longer than they do in ‘vanilla’-Arma (because they keep their heads down).

Features of this script:

- Simulates moral dropping when infantry are under fire

- Simulates strength/stamina as soldiers in prolonged combat or running long

distances will get tired

- A nearby commanding unit (officer) will decrease the chance of your soldiers

running away or surrendering

- Option to be able to rest your units (either in field or at a designated base

or whatever) so they can regain their strength

- Shares target info to nearby (known) friendly units

Acknowledgments:

The whole suppression part of the script is just a modification of Second’s Suppression script 1.5.

I have also borrowed some code here and there, most notably from Dr. Eyeball.

-> Download <-

Requires Arma patch 1.14

The whole purpose of this script was that it would be used together with CEX, but it can be used just as well

without it. Mods that increase the detection range,

like TrueRange and mods that make the units fire suppressive, like SLX (who also increases the detection range) are also highly recommended.

Links:

CEX – Chain Of Command’s Command Engine X

SLX

TrueRange

Included in this package:

-Three example missions showing the script in action. The first is a simple assault on Alcatraz, the

second you’re commanding a larger company that will soon be under attack showing all the alternative

ways to use the script (see the init.sqf-file). The third mission is an example without using the CEX-engine.

-Additional demonstration of a quick-and-dirty mortar script I made (without the suppression-script)

-Instructions on using the scripts are in the scripts themselves (StartSupScript.sqd and Mortar.sqf) aswell as in included Readme

To-do list:

- Find and kill bugs

- Make MP-playable

- Adjust it

- Enchance it, maybe own suppressive-fire part?

Any suggestions/bug reports/comments/name suggestions are very welcome.gif

I'm very interested in this. I was only able to try the 3rd demo mission, since I don't have CEX.

However, I was unable to really get a good idea of what the script was doing. I think the demo mission was part of the problem, because it basically led the blufor into a retarded, uphill assault, which made it difficult to tell if the script was making them act any more intelligent then normal....

Perhaps a simpler demo mission, on flatter terrain, where you can clearly see the difference in how the AI behave, would help.

The one thing I *was* able to notice, was the radio chatter from the AI, which actually was a good feature just on its own.

For those who haven't played Close Combat, or tried this script, basically groups will tell you when they come under fire. Better then that though, the groups will tell you when they are "pinned down", basically meaning they are taking HEAVY fire.

I could see this as VERY useful in Command-Engine type missions, because it lets you quickly decide what groups are in trouble, vs which groups are fighting, but doing OK.

any work in this way gives  community another small step in right way))

thanx for another good staff))

sorry my engliz)

-----------------------------------------

may be another new zip??

broken((

Awesome scripts! Downloading now. I've always wanted more of a psychological model in Arma...

great job)

another one thanx)

2q

1how i can disable all surrender part?

2what about put each function in other file and preprocesscomile him? may be save some perfomance?

sorry my engliz)

Stupid questions perhaps, but I have to ask: Do I need to exclude Second's suppression.pbo when loading? That is, does this script do everything his suppression.pbo does? Or does it prevent your script from functioning properly?

I've tried your non-CEX scenario with the suppression.pbo also loaded without a problem. Just not sure if I am seeing everything you intended. What I did notice was that when the shooting started *everyone* quickly hit the dirt (nice) and that troops appeared to be doing a better job of seeking cover & concealment. Then again, this might have nothing to do with your script - I don't know what exactly I should be looking for.

Great to see a fellow wargamer with some scripting skills! I wish I could wrap my brain around scripting. It would be good to integrate what is commonly called a "preservation level" - a global function which in it's simplest form forces one side to break off contact when a certain number of casualties have been sustained. More complicated methods in board, miniature and some computer wargames include the state of nearby forces (eg a squad sees another unit running away and decides to join them), casualties inflicted on the enemy vs own condition, and whether a force is isolated or flanked. Perhaps food for thought for those more skilled in coding than I can ever possibly hope to be.

Thanks for your work!

I realize now that my description of the script isnt very helpful aswell as the included non-cex mission didnt do a good job at all demonstrating what the script does. I will make a better one when i can get back to my (game-)computer. In CEX theres a window i wrote showing stats for each unit under your control where you can see the psychological state of you units and that will make everything more clear. The script models the morale along two (and a half) dimensions:

First theres a morale level showing two things: when the unit is under fire/suppressed/fleeing (this is the different states in Seconds - script) and it also displays (when the unit is not fired upon) the 'morale-level' of the unit that starts with "excellent" before the units has been fired upon, thrugh "good", "hesistant" and "shaken" depending on how long the unit has been under fire. When the unit reaches morale-level "shaken" the unit will panic at first sight of a fight but the effect is gradual the lower the morale goes.

The second level is the strength which is my part of the script. The different "strength-levels" is "Fresh", "Warmed up", "Winded" and "Exhausted". When the unit travels long distances by foot, stays in "combat-mode" for long and when it suffers losses the strength of the unit will go down. When the unit is exhausted they will be basically useless and run away alot, and they will also look around and count friends and foes and if they find themselves outnumbered they surrender themselves. If they see a officer-unit ("wofficer") nearby it will keep them from running away or surrendering. They wont desert (run away from both sides) but i might implement that feature.

The script also include the possibility to have the units "recharge" themselves in any way that the mission-designer seems fit. You can have the units resting at a designated base for example and when they have done so their strength and morale-levels will go back to normal again. This is beacuse in the beginning I made the script for a CTI-style of playing where i didnt want the commander to just throw his units into battle after battle. This forced the commander to pull back his units after combat to his base so they could rest and it will be more logistically challenging mission aswell as making the use of reserve-units a more important part of the strategy.

Quote[/b] ]1how i can disable all surrender part?

2what about put each function in other file and preprocesscomile him? may be save some perfomance?

1. You cant yet, but when I can i will make it possible. You CAN disable the running away in the suppression (morale)-part of the script: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[YourGroup, "Human", [2,2]]] execVM "StartSupScript.sqf"; The difference here from the default settings is the [2,2] - part where the first 2 is the determination-setting. Setting it to 1 instead of default 0 will keep the unit from running away when under fire. Setting it to 2 will keep the unit from being suppressed at all. Look into the "DaSup\StartSupScript.sqf"-file for more information.

2. Hmm... I dont know if precompiling the script will make it faster, maybe it will. I look into that when i feel it is finished. I do like it in just one file for simplicity on behalf of the mission-editor. Im thinking of getting rid of the two extra files 'GlobalVars' and 'CommonFunctions' but I thought maybe people will find the functions inside them useful for their scripts.

Quote[/b] ]Stupid questions perhaps, but I have to ask:  Do I need to exclude Second's suppression.pbo when loading?  That is, does this script do everything his suppression.pbo does?  Or does it prevent your script from functioning properly?

Theres no stupid questions... Is Seconds suppression addon automatically executed for every units? Im not sure it is and if it isnt I dont see that there should be any problems...

To all of you: download CEX! Your missing out on a great addon otherwise!  smile_o.gif

Thanks for the response!

Quote[/b] ]To all of you: download CEX! Your missing out on a great addon otherwise!

Yes, it is quite amazing. But I am often too lazy to be in charge of everything biggrin_o.gif Been there, done that in real life. Anyway, I got off my butt and tried your CEX scenarios and sure enough I saw your script in action. I like what I saw! There was an error noted when a leader was killed: error: no vehicle. Don't know if this part of your script or a CEX issue.

Thanks for your work!

I continue to like what I see in my use of this script. Curious about the officer impact on troop morale. Does rank improve the effect of the officer? How close does the officer have to be a unit for the officer to influence the unit's morale? Is officer effect randomized?

Thanks again!

I continue to like what I see in my use of this script. Curious about the officer impact on troop morale. Does rank improve the effect of the officer? How close does the officer have to be a unit for the officer to influence the unit's morale? Is officer effect randomized?

Thanks again!

Sorry for late response... The officer impact is very simple, the script checks if the groupleader sees an officer ("knowsabout") within 200m and if he does the group wont be as affected by the different adversive effects in the script (suppressive fire, prolonged movement... ) The rank of the officer or the groupleader has no effect in the script (the officer must be the "WOfficer/EOfficer/GOfficer"-model though!wink_o.gif but the skill of the group leader has a marginal effect. There is no randomization in officer effect. When i find the time and a computer with internet and that can play Arma i will update the script to make it possible to change what type the office is.

This is a great modification of the suppression_pack by second. Is there a new version in future? Maybe bugfixes. smile_o.gif