Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

ilsDirection Info needed.

Guest RKSL-Rock

OK I'm a little curious here.  I have an island with multiple airstrips.

But what I want to know is: Is it possible to set directions other than:

- North > South

- South > North

- East > West

- West > East

I want to be able to define SW to NE etc is it possible?  So what do i have to put in this to define a "custom" direction?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ilsDirection[] = {-1,0.08,0};

All help would be appreciated.

Rock

Yes it is possible. I did it for my map. I must say its not easy though. I mean, its not easy the part to make the runway lines appear correctly in the map when you press 'm' key.

Is your map a google image or can you define your runway directing as you desire?

Note: there are limited runway numbers available in BIS addons. Unless you edit your own runway numbers to define the right and the correct direction of those runways.

This might help. (if not let me know wink_o.gif )

edit: mine has these codes:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ilsDirection[] = {-0.3109, 0.080, 1.21}; // Direction = "\" , landing from Nort -> South

runway05_s.jpg

1024x768

Guest RKSL-Rock
Yes it is possible. I did it for my map. I must say its not easy though. I mean, its not easy the part to make the runway lines appear correctly in the map when you press 'm' key.

Is your map a google image or can you define your runway directing as you desire?

Note: there are limited runway numbers available in BIS addons. Unless you edit your own runway numbers to define the right and the correct direction of those runways.

This might help.

edit: mine has these codes:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">ilsDirection[] = {-0.3109, 0.080, 1.21};  // Direction = "\" , landing from  Nort -> South

[im]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/BCbravo6/Al%20Bayuk/runway05_s.jpg[/img]

1024x768

Thanks, that just made my day.

I was going to customise the sat textures anyway  sinc ethe base isnt really there in reality.  I'm only after 4 airstrips anyway.  2 main bases and 2 grass fields.

So its not a problem.  Thanks alot for the reply.  biggrin_o.gif

you know there's a little tutorial of OFPEC... under OFP tuts...

Airways & Taiways by Marksman... it even has a handy Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet which will work the 3 values out for you...

ils.jpg

To be honest, i must say the mentioned tutorial is not as precise as i desired in directions concern. In the end i did not use it for my runways.

Though it may help alittle to understand how the hole thing works. For those who require more there's an other way to do it.

With more time, and if people need, ill post some pics to demostrate what i did to make the map lines fit my runway's backGround image.

I can't see how you can get more accurate than using trigonometry to arrive at the ilsDirection numbers.

ilsDirection [] = {sin(opposite of desired landing direction in degrees), sin(desired glideslope in degrees), cos(opposite of desired landing direction in degrees)};

For a plane landing in a northerly direction the compass direction would be 180 degrees for the calculation, using the standard 4.6 degree glideslope you would then have:

ilsDirection [] = {sin 180, sin 4.6, cos 180};

Planck

I'm not saying the Mathematic calculations are wrong, i'm saying that this method might not be right one for particular cases.

The fact that if you have very long runways, such as mine, imagine your runway Start point is at zero and you point the compass (or use that script for precise direction) into the middle of the runway's End (2,5km away from point zero)..

experienced: I must say i did place 1 hummers in each side (Start and End) of the runways to get a better simulation but they turn to be not accurate enough.

...you "might" (high prob.) obtain some degree errors that will be ported into the result. Meaning that you will not have a precise direction of the desired runway that you already have drawn in the map.

Note: Don't take me wrong, I'm not arguing about the Mathematic it self. I know Math's but i also know Statistics, so along the years i learn know how to lie with statistics wink_o.gif

I'm just saying that I had to find another way of doing it due to the human error on the input of this direction number.

edit1:

@Planck: i "dare" you to draw those lines in Al Bayuk after i release it with the Excell calculations, to see if you can make those line so accurate as they become.

edit2: people must understand that the problem here is not how to obtain a direction from the formula but yes how to drawn the runway rectangle and simulate it in the map with those lines. (theres a thread mentioning and experiencing the issue i referred)