Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

How to create a great server?

*disclaimer* Sure there are lots of posts related to this, none of them seem to match my concern.

A buddy of mine has a nice fiber-optic connection at his home 5Gb down, 2 MB up. I am wanting to buy parts for a new server and place it there and buy some sort of router that will allow VPN so I don't have to disturb him if I need to reboot or whatever.

I am going to buy the parts from the local PC shop here http://www.enuinc.com/

What kind of router should I buy to avoid the ping reporting NAT bug? How much money should I throw at this for only 1 session of ArmA? Should I use a extra copy of XP or go buy some server OS? Shouldn't I be able to host 60 players with 2MB upstream?

Thanks in advance.

even the simple maps that ICARMA uses for thier league may push over 2Mbit with over 60 ppl but there are times they do 100-150 players

the best bet for is just XP and some sort of c2d like a e6300-8500

since you line is limited even the a low end e6300+ will work for you, 2GB of RAM will be fine

I would not push his line's 2MBit cap as he will notice it, just set it to 32 players and hope it does not go past 1.5 mbit cuase it usually does

a home line even at 2mbit will Lag players as not every one will have a clean straight jump to it compared to a Server based in Data centers

I would bet you'll have issues past 16 players, ArmA is not like CS, it needs power like nothing else on the market