Sign in to follow this  
UpRight

Binarized addons...

Please post me some answers for this simple question...

What effects make binarizing addons in actual gameplay? Does it make them run faster and reduce sluggishness?

Or will it only load addons faster at the beginning?

The 2 most obvious effects of binarizing a model is :

-the p3d size is a lot lower, so it should load faster and probably that takes less size in memory too.

-you can apply some nice material lighting by the config to the models (not possible on un-binarized models)

after that, no idea.

Quote[/b] ]-the p3d size is a lot lower, so it should load faster and probably that takes less size in memory too.

though i heard it's smaller only if compression is applied and this make loading slower... but i can't be sure, this info is close to rumours smile_o.gif

A binarized p3d is essentially converted into the ODOL format. I wont go into the specifics of the differences in the formats here, but suffice to say that once binarized (and thus in ODOL format) the model is highly optimised for "best" performance in the engine.

As Sanctuary pointed out, once binarised a lot more lighting and general rendering calculations can be done to the model, thus not only improving its overall look ingame, but also, in most cases, its performance.

Whether or not the textures are "optimal" for "best" performance isnt gaurenteed by binarization. So you may not actually notice a tangible improvement in performance.

As for filesize, the ODOL p3d format is indeed much smaller than that of its MLOD counterpart because it is highly optimised.

When applying compression to the pbo, there will be noticeable slowdown on loading times, as the engine has to decompress all this information prior to loading.

DM

thanks for clarifying. I guess it's just the same for arma - only there's no lightning limitation for arma MLOD AFAIS