Sign in to follow this  
agentmib

How to use cavoices

Could anyone tell me exactly how to use the ArmA's built in voices from a script. I am developing a realistic airstrike script. It will include radio communications of the strike. For example:

Quote[/b] ]

Player "This is Foxtrot request support over"

HQ "Roger Foxtrot, waiting target position"

Player "target at Charlie Mike Two Two over"

HQ "Roger, aircraft is on the way"

Aircraft "Foxtrot this is Sierra Five, moving on target"

Aircraft "Foxtrot, Sierra Five is 2000 meters out, take cover"

Player "Roger Sierra Five"

Aircraft "Engaging *objects*"

Will you get the idea. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

First configue the radio sounds in the description.ext, and use scripting commands to play them. Some info here.

Get the comms realistic first, them worry about the scripting.

Could you give me an example of realistic?

First configue the radio sounds in the description.ext, and use scripting commands to play them. Some info here.

Matt,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, I'm don't hear sound when using player sideRadio "RequestSupport".  I've defined "RequestSupport" in description.ext as follows:

Quote[/b] ]

class CfgRadio

{

sound[] = {requestsupport};

class RequestSupport

{

name = "RequestSupport";

sound[] = {"\ca\voice\dan\requestsupport", db-0, 1.00};

title = "Request Support";

};

};

I've even tried different variations of the path, such as "ca\voice\..." or "\voice\...".  No luck, I just can't get anything in Voice.pbo to work.  crazy_o.gif

However, I did notice that I was able to use most of the sounds in Sound.pbo without even defining them in description.ext.  For example, player sideRadio "M01r01" works fine...go figure.

Hopefully someone could help me out.  It makes more sense to use the built-in voices instead of having to create or copy new sounds.  That would cost tens to hundreds of MB's.

As Yoda would say, "Use the source..."  biggrin_o.gif

smile_o.gif

Sadly, accessing the voice.pbo in a mission's description.ext is not possible. However using the exact same format in an addon's config.cpp works. This is true for all sounds: you can't for instance play gunshot sounds or helicopter sounds or any sounds in a mission by simply accessing them through the description.ext like that. Once again, you can in an addon.

This is not to suggest you turn your script into an addon! You might simply want to consider making two version of it: one with the sounds included (using sideRadio) and one without (using sideChat). smile_o.gif

Regards,

Wolfrug