Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Satellite image problem

I'm creating a map using a topographic map of the actual terrain (Bluefields, Nicaragua) and thanks to what I've read in this forum I've managed to get to the point where I'm importing the terrain layers. Because this is a difficult learning process, I've simply covered the entire map with a single terrain for the Mask, and used the scanned image of the topo map as the satellite image, to see if I can get it to work.

What I get is the satellite image overlaying the terrain:

Topo-Bulldozer2.jpg

If I get real close to ground level, the texture does show up:

Topo-Bulldozer5.jpg

Any pointers to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.

On the plus side this is helping me fix the height map which lost some fidelity when I was smoothing out the terrain. Pretty easy to fix the coastline and creek using Bulldozer:

Topo-Bulldozer4.jpg

Topo-Bulldozer1.jpg

I am amazed at the skill and determination of those who have actually completed maps. This is is difficult stuff.

Hi

By the looks of it your not doing anything wrong.

Arma renders 2 sets of textures in the game. Satelite map which can be seen when , lets say, hovering in a chopper and a texture mask which can be seen when standing on or very close to the ground.

You need to start doctoring your sat map (in this case your bluefields map) with real textures. This way when you are in buldozer it will render this rather than the map you currently have.

Open it photoshop and the create a new layer. This way you have the original doc that you are working from and on the top layer you can start building your detailed texture.

Hope this makes sense if not shout me and il give some examples

Thanks - I understand completely. I had no idea that the sat map image was used for actual in game rendering. Thought it was simply used as an option when checking the map (M key) while playing. Much to learn...