Sign in to follow this  
hotrats

Do i want this on my pc

C-dilla, do i want this on my system?confused.gif

C-dilla, if you dont know is a license managment system the takes the liberty of installing itself along with certain other software (ie red hammer.exe downloaded from the codemasters website). So when i notice that this hidden folder has appeared in my C: i investigate. Call me paranoid, but i am very particualar about gets on my hard drive. A quick search later

(http://www.privacyandspying.com/privacy-c_dilla.html)

and i find that this nafarious bit of code could be described as a monitoring system that can tamper with your computer (ie prevent software from running and disable your CDR drive). I dont want this crap anywhere near my pc and it REALLY PISSES ME OFF when this crap installs itself without my permission EVEN MORE SO WHEN IT MEANS HAVING REMOVE IT MANUALLY BEAUSE IT WONT UNINSTAL.

So all that aside can anyone tell me, does the retail version of red hammmer use c-dilla??

I really want to play the russian campaign but not if it means having spyware on my pc.

Finally please,please,please BIS dont use this system with the resistance addon, I love this game and Resistance sounds really cool, but i wont buy it if it comes with spyware.

I purchased the downloadable version of RH when it came out.

I don't remember the details about whether this was mentioned or whether I was prompted with an "opt-out" clause.

What I do know is that all you need to do is run the latest version of AD-AWARE with the latest reference file will get rid of anything, just in case.

I was working 2 years ago for a software company and it use c-dilla to protect the soft. I don't know if is the same installation process for c-dilla now but I think some part of c-dilla are installed on our boot sector. Bad luck for you the only way to remove c-dilla is a low level format. With a simple format you don't erase the boot sector so low level format or try an fdisk /mbr before a format c:.

Bye

C-dilla made several licensing products. The've been bought up by Macrovision - you know - the SAFEDISC people! mad.gif

Chances are whatever got into your boot sector was some much heavier license monitoring tool and not the simpler license purchase wrapper used for RH's installation.

I ran a check again with Ad-Aware 5.62 with the latest reference file, 1.3 dated 2/2/2. Other than 2 cookies, all's well!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskie @ Feb. 24 2002,17:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I thought itwas to stop people downloading it for free<span id='postcolor'>

More specifically, within the downloaded RH install file are the RH PBOs. The C-Dilla license wrapper is there to prevent you from extarcting them unless you go through a legitimate Internet path of obtaining a license to unlock the files and have them installed on your PC.

That's pretty legit. Unfortunately, the process died for some players in the middle, after their credit card information was obtained and evntually charged for. Fortunately, CM seems to have handled these cases appropriately. Also fortunately, you have every legal right to call up your credit card company and cancel any chrage for which you did not receive the merchandise.

Its too much, if i had any hair i would be tearing it out.

I mean yeah its a minefield, CM have to have the right to protect their work if its under threat but i want the right to determine my own moral guidelines, ive dont it since i was 10 and while i dont claim perfection, i think ive done a pretty decent job.

Im still a relative newbie in terms of the internet (I only abandoned the Amiga 18 months ago) and when I first run adware and heard of spyware it freaked the S#*t out of me! And now there talk of boot sectors, Oh man!

But more to the point can anyone tell me if the retail CD version installs C_Dilla  cos I still aint got Red Hammer and I don't want to buy it if Im endorsing spyware (that might sound dramatic, but im a man of principle).

It's pretty evil to make a program screw up your computer if you w4r3z the thing. Altough the w4r3z d00ds would deserve it mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hotrats @ Feb. 24 2002,17:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its too much, if i had any hair i would be tearing it out.<span id='postcolor'>

You don't wanna look like Ruskie up there, do you?!?!?!

Anyway, stop worrying. This boot sector business is not the case. My AV would have prompted me for any such update had it been attempted.

As I said, the latest in Ad-Aware has given me a clean bill of health. Thousands more, who know and hate spyware, have installed the RH download and aren't crying.

As for the CD's, no spyware is installed by OFP from any of the CDs.

Quite the opposite

im not crying

and i DOOO want to look like a ruskie

It would show up as spyware....ad-aware doesn't have a problem with it if it's on my system.......