Sign in to follow this  
Eagle-Eye

Skip a mission part?

Hellow,

I'm making my own mission, but I have this little 'problem'. I've come in the stage of fine-tuning everything, and all is going well but one thing is bothering me enormously. I have some fixes to do at the end of the mission. This means, to check if it is correct now, I have to play the complete mission first before I can see whether or not my fix has worked out as I wanted. If it didn't, I have to do it again.

My mission 'only' takes about 25 to 30 minutes, but this soon adds up to some hours when trying and retrying.

So is there a way in the ME to skip certain parts in the mission? For example, skip the first 20 minutes in my case. I personally don't think so, but what do I know about the ME. confused_o.gif

Eagle-Eye

Skipping isn't possible, but you can plan for it when you start, which is easier said than done. But you can add your own set of "tools" which will make you go through the mission much more quickly.

These include debug actions for setting selv captive on and off, adding a unit next to you (without setcaptive), a "hit" eventhandler that restores your (and other units health), a script that sets health based on the distance from you in order to kill nearby enemies etc.

Planning beforehand involves avoiding use of triggers grouped to specific units. Also consider setting up radio switch triggers that enables the waypoint after the one that is switched. Avoid using objectives that depend on other objectives, but if needed, include the means to set them independantly.

I usually set up dummy radio triggers that set certain objectives or needed variables to true or destroy objects or units that need to be destroyed throughout the mission or setpos units to regions where they have to go according to mission design.

This way I can jump from one part of the mission to another.

Surely this doesn´t work for all thinkable situations but for me it saves a lot of time while playtesting certain segments of a mission.