Sign in to follow this  
Eagle-Eye

Force player to walk

Hey

I've tried a search (searched for threads containing these words: "Force", "Force Speed" or "SetVelocity") and completed the whole Biki-tour but didn't find anything that could help me solve my problem. Perhaps I was just blind, or I've looked in the wrong places.

Here's the problem: I want the players group to march until a certain point. Using Careless-mode I got AI to walk, so that's no problem, but the player is automatically set to running mode, even in Careless. This is causing his group to come way behind and, my biggest problem, the mission isn't correct anymore.

As I'm relatively new to the whole scriptingscene, I've used several triggers to activate some things but if the player runs he gets at the scene of action before anything has actually happened there. Thereby making the set up dialogs useless and extremely weird at that moment.

So, in a nutshell: I need to get the player to walk to a certain point, after which he is freely to choose his own speed. Is there a command (init line preferably, if scripting is required I'll need some more help) to make this happen?

Thanks.

Careless/Safe  and set the speed to Limited.

Either yous the speed option in the waypoint or name the group and use this: _groupOne setSpeedMode "LIMITED"

This won´t limit the players speed Matt.

I can´t really think of a clean solution to this Eagly-Eye. You either have a loop running, checking the players speed or running animation and force it back to slow speed by temporarely disabling userinput when the player is exceeding the desired speed, or the character is performing the run-animation, but this will either look ugly, or look chopped beyond believe. What you could do is to display a hint like "You are running to fast, your men are falling behind." and end the mission if the user fails to meet the groups speed for some time or distance between the group and the player gets too high, or you could turn the part of the mission into a cutscene where the user can´t influence the speed while watching the squad move.

Perhaps you could either set up trigger points to teleport the player back, or if he gets too far from a unit.

However, limiting players ability is not usually a good idea and if this is a walk with no action, replaying it may not be much fun.