Sign in to follow this  
WangoTango

Gaming on wireless broadband

Does anyone here game online with wireles point to point broadband? I live in a rural area, and dial-up has been my only option up until now. Motorola Canopy wireless broadband is now available. 1mb download speed 256k upload speed. Is this good enough to play ArmA online? My main concern though is the 5gb a month data transfer limit. This number means nothing to me, as I have no idea how much data is transfered, from daily internet surfing. Any ideas?

I can imagine that would be enough to play ArmA online. The traffic generated by surfing and gameplay is relatively negligible, the download cap is only there for people who are downloading large files. The average user will never go anywhere near 5GB in a month.

Cool. That is what I was hoping. $250 for the hardware (reciever), and $49 a month..beats the hell out of dial-up. I will have to get a router and 2 network cards I suppose, 2 PCs in the house.

I will be aiming to join the modern times, sometime in October. My Son needs hockey equipment first, Daddy can wait. whistle.gif

Cool. That is what I was hoping. $250 for the hardware (reciever), and $49 a month..

Whoa :O

Expensive stuff. Too bad you live in rural area, I pay like $30 and get 8/8, and the modem is included, although, I live in a town.

I'm just glad it's available here now. Compared to satellite, $900 for hardware, 5 meg down, but you need to use dial-up for well..up. At $80 a month, and being useless for gaming, I was never going with this option.

BTW, I like living in the country smile_o.gif  , the only thing that sucks is the internet deal, but it appears to be getting better......finally!

i hope you wont have both pcs's online at same time i got trouble with my wifi router since we got sometimes 4 computers online + at least one of the neighbours leeching on my bandwidth crazy_o.gif

i got 8 mb down, dunno about up speed but could be 1 or 2.. tounge2.gif

i get like sometimes 250 kb's speed.. tounge2.gif i should Wep encrypt the sucker but my friend says i shouldnt cause then he cant join my lan or something...

I have exactly the same connection as that and it's wireless. I find that it is enough to play Arma and most Valve games with a ping between 25 and 60 as long as I stick to European servers.

at least one of the neighbours leeching on my bandwidth  crazy_o.gif

THAT's the reason why I don't trust wireless except for my cell phone... I recently had to acquire a new ADSL router and I specifically chose one without any wireless capability, wether I'd use it or not... there's nothing like hard wire, you know what's going on, what's connected, what isn't, and it is also faster! thumbs-up.gif

Sucks though if that isn't an option, although I must say I have ADSL2+ via POTS, so it's just an ISP thing, and of course the closeness to the nearest area hub...

Do you know that you can secure your wireless connection and the instructions on how to do so probably came with the packaging?

Soon we can have fibers that run like 50gbps for almost any distance without loosing any speed!

Don't belive me? Here you go!

And when this system is built out all over the world, z0mfg, we're gonna' fly!