Sign in to follow this  
jgnapp

Tank problems

HELP!!!

I recently bought Flashpoint Gold and have got to the Battle of Houdan mission. I get the feeling that I'm not at all in control, of the tank, the driver keeps waggling round like a dick in the wind making it next to impossible to spot and target things, and I order the gunner to use the machine gun on troops such as the RPG soldier, and I neither hear nor see any evidence of the gun firing.

It almost feels like the copy protection that degrades the games performance is cutting in though I have an original. Any ideas whats up or is it just the way the game is? Oh yes, another thing, the Gold edition upgrades Flashpoint to V1.3, but when I try to use the patch to take it up to 1.42 it keeps asking me to insert the CD and will not work... any help here?

I just think thats the way tanks are. I mostly do tank battles in the editor and as the gunner i always have a hard time hitting the target. The commander says fire and i do but at the same time the driver is moving the tank all over the place, causing me to miss alot of the time.But just today I got past that mission. To target things without having to click on them try pressing 2 and then using the radio to tell your gunner to select targets that are there. Or try pressing the Tab key if there are any targets showing red on the radar. If you can't shoot at something because theres hills in the way or whatever try moving the tank towards the target, you can do that in the map or without having a target selected just click on where you want the tank to go so you can in a way control your tank as you move towards the target. Hope I was of any help if any.

Could be simply a matter of practice. I had a hard time with tanks too, but I got the hang of it eventually. If you think commanding a tank is confusing you should try a Bradley.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hardliner @ Feb. 22 2002,13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just think thats the way tanks are. I mostly do tank battles in the editor and as the gunner i always have a hard time hitting the target. The commander says fire and i do but at the same time the driver is moving the tank all over the place, causing me to miss alot of the time.But just today I got past that mission. To target things without having to click on them try pressing 2 and then using the radio to tell your gunner to select targets that are there. Or try pressing the Tab key if there are any targets showing red on the radar. If you can't shoot at something because theres hills in the way or whatever try moving the tank towards the target, you can do that in the map or without having a target selected just click on where you want the tank to go so you can in a way control your tank as you move towards the target. Hope I was of any help if any.<span id='postcolor'>

You are not gunner in the campaign. You're the commander.

Anyway. It's all in practice. AI isn't the best driver but it's ok. He respect your orders and do things you're telling.

There's nothing easier than being a commander. You just need practice. It's good to be a gunner too, but only when you're a officer.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jgnapp @ Feb. 22 2002,01:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HELP!!!

I recently bought Flashpoint Gold and have got to the Battle of Houdan mission. I get the feeling that I'm not at all in control, of the tank, the driver keeps waggling round like a dick in the wind making it next to impossible to spot and target things, and I order the gunner to use the machine gun on troops such as the RPG soldier, and I neither hear nor see any evidence of the gun firing.

It almost feels like the copy protection that degrades the games performance is cutting in though I have an original. Any ideas whats up or is it just the way the game is? Oh yes, another thing, the Gold edition upgrades Flashpoint to V1.3, but when I try to use the patch to take it up to 1.42 it keeps asking me to insert the CD and will not work... any help here?<span id='postcolor'>

Insert the original OFP CD, not the Gold upgrade?

Ahh SpaceAlex... if you read the part of my post that you quoted you would notice that i was mostly talking about being the commander and how to target things using the radio... mad.gif

"But just today I got past that mission. To target things without having to click on them try pressing 2 and then using the radio to tell your gunner to select targets that are there. Or try pressing the Tab key if there are any targets showing red on the radar. If you can't shoot at something because theres hills in the way or whatever try moving the tank towards the target, you can do that in the map or without having a target selected just click on where you want the tank to go so you can in a way control your tank as you move towards the target."

if you read it carefully you'll notice i was talking about the campaign all along in this part. You must have misread it.

Anyway yeah being the tank commander is easy and good. With my guys high pitched voice (changed voice in options to high pitched) everytime i give an order i can hear this stupid high pitched voice with an american accent, funny when in a russian tank and having an american voice. I wish there were russian voices to choose from.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DodgeME @ Feb. 23 2002,00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe is luck but killing tanks is quite easy!<span id='postcolor'>

Oh hell yeah! A fair T80 vs Abrams platoon fight me being in T80 can kill Abrams easy! biggrin.gif Then my high pitched american accented guy says "Abrams is history!" sounds funny! even funnier when its "T55 is history!"

If any noobs see this thread, and wonder how these ppl are so good at commandeering tanks, here's the reason

1.you are natural-born game guru

2. or they practiced

i had to practice after i got killed in my first tank mission...it sucked but it was a great experience biggrin.gif

Here are some tips. Have manual fire on. Helps me a lot.

try going for the turret mate. I always go for the turret. Maybe is a habit but if you manage to disable that the other tank is dead biggrin.gif

Anyway is quite easy mate when u get around it biggrin.gif