Sign in to follow this  
kinismo

DDR vs. DDR2?

I wonder if it gives any perfomance boost in Arma if i updated ddr2 memory to this system? Now i must keep settings medium-low(1280x1024) to keep game smooth(fps ~30).

E6300

7600gt

Asrock 4coredual-vsta

2gb DDR

im not a prof in person but i think it would not help you much. ArmA still needs to be optimized.

Faster memory will help.. but not much.. A cheap 7800-7900 will help a lot more (Or a Radeon X1950 XT if your canadian..)

ArmA still needs to be optimized.

How?

if you have ddr RAM in your system currently you cannot just upgrade to ddr2 like that. DDRram has 184 pins and DDR2 has 240 pins in a difrent config. DDR2 ram does make a big dif in bench marks though, I built an matched pair of AM2 equivalents of my rig (fx60 w/ 2GB mushkin redline & 8800 GTS 640) except with an 8800 gts 320 and it scorched my rig in 3dmark 06. I never did run arma on them but im sure they would handle it pretty well.

If you have a ddr based system I would get a matched pair of 1 gig sticks (if you can still find something decent at a reasonable price). But if you are looking for a real performance gain that you can rebuild a system around i would get an 8800 gts 640 or a gtx. Dont even look at the 8600 series the performance for the price isnt worth it (a 7950 beats a 8600)

Good luck!

++Edit++ Oh cool never seen that one before and it has an AGP slot on it! Thats a really forward/backward compatible board huh? wow_o.gif Leave it up to Via. I am a big fan of their nano and pico series of Mobos.

if you have ddr RAM in your system currently you cannot just upgrade to ddr2 like that.

He can actually.. the Asrock 4coredual-vsta have 2 DDR sockets and 2 DDR-II sockets.. The Via chipset supports either.. but not at the same time..

Even if its possible with your motherboard, its not going to make any difference. Getting a better graphics card would be the best upgrade for your system.

ArmA still needs to be optimized.

How?

The vegetation problem (fps drops).

they said it was a work in progress and they were working on that to improve it.

To me the vegetation is the problem in this game. ArmA should be smoother.

edit: typo

Same for me, the forest or lots of vegetation keep down even a 8800GTX. That prevent you from using full details. (or you are dead when flying over a forest/fighting near a forest)

There is one mission in the single campaign where it is horrible ^^'

North Sahrani, near the Sea where you must protect some guys who build small base. With max details, it's not playable.

Hope 1.09 will run smoother. (maybe an addon replacing all trees to the OFP models will help ? crazy_o.giftounge2.gif )

maybe if linda was implemented instead the trees and vegetation we have now, the game could run faster and smoother.

right? (sorry for ignorance)

I thought that Linda was a plant distribution system... so that the devs don't need to place the trees/grass/flowers by hand ..

Bi Wiki Linda

The trees are just to polygon rich when we cram up the object resolution.. We either need separate tree detail level or just a tree replacement.

I'm sure the Lindenmayer system has no part in ArmA runtime. It is an 'offline' development system primarily as I have understood. In theory you could use it in runtime but I bet the performance hit would be too great.

Does anybody know where the tree models are kept....which pbo?

I'm sure someone could just lower their polygon count...much like the grass mods for Oblivion?

Am i wrong?

I thought that Linda was a plant distribution system... so that the devs don't need to place the trees/grass/flowers by hand ..

Bi Wiki Linda

The trees are just to polygon rich when we cram up the object resolution.. We either need separate tree detail level or just a tree replacement.

Linda creats their own trees, each one are different from each other.

They grow and have they have roots, as living creature.

In ArmA we dont have this kinda "dynamic structure". It will be used in game2

but anyway i think ArmA should be better in terms of vegetation. Lower computers don't run them well. Even the recomended spec have problems running it. Thats why i think a new patch related to this "problem" should be released, asp smile_o.gif

Easiest solution = Someone edits the tree models.

Ideal solution = The ability to adjust vegetation detail in the video options.