Sign in to follow this  
Sleepdoc

Key binding mystery - Plz help

Just to be clear.  I have a pretty good grasp of the key binding system in ArmA and I don't believe the issue lies in my mis-understanding of the binding system.

But anything is possible becuase I am stumped at the moment.

the place my ignorance is greatest is in ArmA itself.  

OK.  Here is the issue....................

If I press the key combination ALT+1 or ALT+2 (etc), that command menu thingy appears in the upper right corner of the screen.

However, If i look through the entire keybinding system under esc/options/controls, I dont see any place where it is bound.  So, if those key strookes are not visibly bound to some action in the game, then why is it cuasing that menu to appear?

I want to use the Alt+1, Alt+2 commands on my HOTAS (Saitek X-52) however i cannot becuase of this undesired effect.

And before you ask, I do not want to change to another key sequence.  I mich prefer to understand this issue, and get a solution based on better understanding.

are the ALT+1 type sets of controls hard coded in the executable or something?

Thank you for any new knowedge you can impart to me on this issue.

Its obvious, isn't it?

The keys 0 to 9 are bound to the command menu, and its hardcoded.

You will have to use other keys, not these.

Its obvious, isn't it?

He said Alt+1, not just the no. on it's own.

Seems like a bug, maybe post it on the bugtracker?

It's not a bug.

But of course, you can post a feature request to change this behaviour.

Its obvious, isn't it?

He said Alt+1, not just the no. on it's own.

Seems like a bug, maybe post it on the bugtracker?

The game doesn't differentiate between ex. "R" and "Ctrl-R".

If you have R = reload.

Ctrl + R = go prone.

If you press Ctrl + R you will reload then go prone.

Is your ALT key bound to LOOK? If it is, it'll be red. But red just means both actions will take place if applicable, which often may be alright.

Originally you couldn't use 1-0 and F1-F12 for anything except commanding teams. They used to be completely reserved, but now you can bind them for assorted things but maybe not everything.

I just tried binding Left_Alt+1 to "Turn Left" in helicopter and it does not bring up the command menu and it works alright...

What exactly are you trying to bind?

edit:

snip

What version are You using? That's not true anymore. Go try it. At least not for that combination. There might be things but as so far I've not found one since 1.08

@5133P39

No.  It is not obvious.  if it were obvious, I would not have asked the question.  Now **That** is obvious.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Furthermore, your explanation is undetailed and totally inadequate.  Take a look at Frederf's and Wamingo's explanation.  Their explanations seems to understand the issue while your answer seems to indicate that you are more concerned with being sarcastic than actually reading the post you are replying too and understanding its nuances.

@ Frederf

Thank you for explaining this to me.  I would never have expected this becuase it seems like a poor design and possibly even a bug if this is true.  I will test and confirm your description of how the system works.  But assuming you are correct about this, do you view this as a bug or a design flaw or what?

I have never seen a game that interprets CTRL+R as 2 different and simultaneous commands (R and CTRL+R).  Have you ever seen this before?

Thank you Frederf,

Sleepdoc

P.S.  Where do I know your call sign from?  Frugals?

@ Wamingo

I am running 1.08 US.  I am trying to use a key bind command from team speak which is ALT+1, ALT+2 etc to change to different squad channels in tema speak.  So I cleared out EVERY SINGLE USE OF ALT in my key bind section.  this includes the key bind for LOOK, FREE LOOK and any other thing i could find.  I have combed through the key bind section.  I have even gone so far as to bind the ALT key to something just to make sur eit wasn't red (red would indicate I have missed something, as you pointed out).  then of course, I deleted the red.

any more ideas would be appreciated.  I just want ot understand this so i can make my X-52 profiles as robust as possible wihtout the unexpected (and poorly understood) key press outcomes.

@5133P39

No. It is not obvious. if it were obvious, I would not have asked the question. Now **That** is obvious.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Furthermore, your explanation is undetailed and totally inadequate. Take a look at Frederf's explanation. His explanation seems to understand the issue while your answer seems to indicate that you are more concerned with being sarcastic than actually reading the post you are replying too and understanding its nuances.

@ Frederf

Thank you for explaining this to me. I would never have expected this becuase it seems like a poor design and possibly even a bug if this is true. I will test and confirm your description of how the system works. But assuming you are correct about this, do you view this as a bug or a design flaw or what?

I have never seen a game that interprets CTRL+R as 2 different and simultaneous commands (R and CTRL+R). Have you ever seen this before?

Thank you Frederf,

Sleepdoc

P.S. Where do I know your call sign from? Frugals?

yes, you are right, i am totally stupid and sarcastic, sorry, i am also cheater, software pirate, murderer of small children, and maybe even a gay. I'll make sure not to answer any more of your possible questions in the future to avoid offending you again ;-)

Quote[/b] ]What version are You using? That's not true anymore. Go try it. At least not for that combination. There might be things but as so far I've not found one since 1.08

I'll try testing it. I'm not 100% sure for player made keybinds but I think it's true for hardcoded ones (F keys, etc)

yes, you are right, i am totally stupid and sarcastic, sorry, i am also cheater, software pirate, murderer of small children, and maybe even a gay. I'll make sure not to answer any more of your possible questions in the future to avoid offending you again ;-)

LOL.  Ease up on the drama there man.  And you didn't answer my question.  An answer was what I was looking for.  Your "reply" was far from an answer.  

And are you a baby killer?  You should stop that.

LOL. Ease up on the drama there man. And you didn't answer my question. An answer was what I was looking for. Your "reply" was far from an answer.

And are you a baby killer? You should stop that.

I can't stop it, makes me feel not so weak and pathetic smile_o.gif

btw. i was mistaken - in the controls it shows that keys 0-9 are reserved, but if you try to bind SOMETHING+[0-9], then it works (i tried it - v1.08), you just need make sure that the SOMETHING isn't used for some other action.

I am trying to use a key bind command from team speak which is ALT+1, ALT+2 etc to change to different squad channels in tema speak

Maybe arma won't let teamspeak hook the input?

Will teamspeak hook any other key for switching channels? I know it's not what you want but try eg a single key A-Z or whatever.

LOL.  Ease up on the drama there man.  And you didn't answer my question.  An answer was what I was looking for.  Your "reply" was far from an answer.  

And are you a baby killer?  You should stop that.

I can't stop it, makes me feel not so weak and pathetic smile_o.gif

btw. i was mistaken - in the controls it shows that keys 0-9 are reserved, but if you try to bind SOMETHING+[0-9], then it works (i tried it - v1.08), you just need make sure that the SOMETHING isn't used for some other action.

Im still thinking you are missing my point here. but its possible I am missing your point.

I dont want to bind anything in the game to ALT+1. that is already bound to a channel change in Teamspeak, and it works as advertised. What I want is for ALT+1 to do NOTHING in the game. Then when I hit ALT+1, TS changes channels and NOTHING ELSE happens. As it is is now, TS changes channels and ALSO that little menu in the upper right corner pops out at me.

Im still thinking you are missing my point here. but its possible I am missing your point.

I dont want to bind anything in the game to ALT+1. that is already bound to a channel change in Teamspeak, and it works as advertised. What I want is for ALT+1 to do NOTHING in the game. Then when I hit ALT+1, TS changes channels and NOTHING ELSE happens. As it is is now, TS changes channels and ALSO that little menu in the upper right corner pops out at me.

You are 100% right, i was missing your point - i thought you want to bind the keys to actions in the game.

I think as long as any of the keys presented in the combo is bound to anything in the ArmA, it won't work (i know you don't have ALT+1 bound to anything in ArmA, but the 1 is - it's hardcoded, and ArmA doesn't care about the fact that you pressed ALT modifier as long as its not bound to anything, and as long as it still catches the '1' keystroke it will show the menu).

I don't think there is any ohter way around that, than for DEVs to add the option to bind other keys to the menu instead the default 0-9.