Sign in to follow this  
Mak

1.08 Texture Bug

Alright guys, I am having a different problem than most of you. Most of you are experiencing crashes to desktop, coding errors, well my game runs fine in that aspect, but not so well in another...

The US ArmA Version 1.06 ran well on my system (specs shown below, using Windows XP). Ever since I have downloaded 1.08 I have had this texture bug... let me explain. A minute or two into a game (Offline or Online) my textures start to flicker between high and low detail settings. My Night Vision Goggles flicker black and green when using them. The devices such as the compass and GPS flickers when I bring up my MAP. Text becomes blurred after a while as if the resolution was set very low.

I have read for many many minutes and even hours to try to find someone with a fix, but I haven't found one and am starting to get pissed off. I have heard of alt+tabbing which doesn't work. <L> <SHIFT> + <MINUS> "FLUSH" <ENTER> does not work. Reinstalling the game 6 times has not worked. Reinstalling the patch has not worked. I haven't tried reinstalling my video drivers, but I think that's the least of my worries since other games run PERFECT. My last resort is reinstalling Windows XP, which sounds icky, let alone actually performing that type of action just for this error.

Not only do my textures flicker, but this drops my frame rate until the game is NOT PLAYABLE.

If anyone would be able to help me out or us out, knowing there are more people with this issue, we would be greatly appreciative. Yes my drivers are fine, my Windows XP is valid, and I'm not running addons. I just want to play ArmA like everyone else!

PS. I bought this rig no more than two weeks ago, it's BRAND new - I put it together myself. Every component is new.

Greetings,

I too did have some problems with loading textures and with the text, but no CTD's.

I solved by changing the textures option to default. Later I tried with Normal and it also worked with me. Only when I set to Low or Very Low I get those problems.

Greetings,

I too did have some problems with loading textures and with the text, but no CTD's.

I solved by changing the textures option to default. Later I tried with Normal and it also worked with me. Only when I set to Low or Very Low I get those problems.

Understood, and I have tried that many times after reinstalling the game, and it did not seem to fix the bug. Again, 1.06 worked fine with any setting I wanted. But then 1.08 came along like one of those uncles you never really got along with...

Oh well, all I can say is that I hope BIS fixes this soon, not only this bug, but the rest of them as well, because it is affecting many players with high end PC's.

i have no solution, but, my night vision flicks between no night vision, and night vision about 30 times a second when i zoom in using the goggles. it seems to happen more when i am close to buildings or trees.

just registering my complaint...sorry i can not offer you anything.

FOUND A TEMPORARY SOLUTION!

Alright, after playing around with my video settings and such for an hour, I figured out my settings that work so there is no more flickering.

Object and Terrain Detail don't matter as far as my PC goes.

My Texture detail is set to Normal and Post Process Effects are set to LOW.

Shading on High

I don't believe Antistrophic or AA mattered with my situation much, but I have Antistrophic filtering on Low and AA disabled. Everything else is the default settings.

Try these settings out if you are having problems and see if they work.

Well then it seems to be different with everyone... weird.

Found something else out about the bug. The more textures that are displayed on the screen, the more chances the bug will appear. I was running fine on the outskirts of a city in a 20 player server, but once I joined a 64 player server I noticed the bug more.

Mate, I'm just as gutted as you!

Seems to be problems for many 8800gts users. I've had similar textures problems. When I set post processing effects to high, it even BSODs and restarts my computer.

I've also got an 8800GTS and an E6600 2.4 gig core duo.

ArmA has been unplayable for me with all versions including 1.05. I was hoping 1.08 would fix it, but no!

The crazy thing is, I even had the same kinds of problems on my old PC. An athlon XP 3200+ with a 6800GT! It's been gutting to read about people who have the game running fine. I was sure when I put my new system together last week all my problems would be solved sad_o.gif

Makes you wonder if the developers got the hurry up to release the game before it was really ready.

I've also read some people saying the nividia drivers for the 8800 series cards are pretty average, but that doesn't explain my problems with my 6800GT. Meh, I sure hope they fix this!!!

If you really want then to do something about it, sign up for the bug tracker and vote for this guys bug:

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2321

If this isn't exactly the same stuff you've been getting, I'm sure you'll find your bug somewhere there, although there's lots of them on there to wade through...

Mate, I'm just as gutted as you!

Seems to be problems for many 8800gts users. I've had similar textures problems. When I set post processing effects to high, it even BSODs and restarts my computer.

I've also got an 8800GTS and an E6600 2.4 gig core duo.

ArmA has been unplayable for me with all versions including 1.05. I was hoping 1.08 would fix it, but no!

The crazy thing is, I even had the same kinds of problems on my old PC. An athlon XP 3200+ with a 6800GT! It's been gutting to read about people who have the game running fine. I was sure when I put my new system together last week all my problems would be solved sad_o.gif

Makes you wonder if the developers got the hurry up to release the game before it was really ready.

I've also read some people saying the nividia drivers for the 8800 series cards are pretty average, but that doesn't explain my problems with my 6800GT. Meh, I sure hope they fix this!!!

If you really want then to do something about it, sign up for the bug tracker and vote for this guys bug:

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2321

If this isn't exactly the same stuff you've been getting, I'm sure you'll find your bug somewhere there, although there's lots of them on there to wade through...

Thats quite strange im running a 8800 gtx with the E6700 core duo no prob at all maxed out everything. Whats ur ram like?

Sav

Ok. I'm all fixed! Awesome!

Played online last night for a couple of hours with no problems. I'd tried this switch on my arma.exe before: -maxmem=512

and after posting over here : http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1104909

about the same issue, sickboy suggested trying maxmem=256 as well.

I tried that, and hey presto, it's all fixed! Awesome. I should have figured that myself really, seeing as I've got a 320mb card, not a 512mb one. At any rate, pretty handy fix. I also ran it at maxmem=320 for an hour, which also seemed fined.

Awesome...

EDIT: Ah crap. Tried turning post processing effects on again. ArmA BSOD'd and restarted my computer again. Hate it when you think a fix is working but it isn't! Arghhh! I so wish they'd fix this game! I just spent all day making a custom face and a squad patch... sad_o.gif