Sign in to follow this  
Jabbah

New dedicated server

Right, ive had a glance through the forum and found nothing, but im trying to set up a dedicated server using the 1.07beta version, what do i need to copy into the beta dir? what other things do i need to do.

Thanks.

Jabba

You don't copy anything into the beta folder, the installer creates it all for you.

In the beta directory is 2 executables. The second one, arma server is obviously the one you want.

I then made a batch file called "start arma 1.07 beta+fix" on the desktop which had in it,

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">START "" /D"%CD%" /B "%CD%\beta\ArmA_Server.exe" -mod=beta -config=server.cfg

That's with a standard, default install, so it should work for you unless you've done something funky.

Note #1; The server config file will have to be created too, but that's all covered in the readme.

Note #2; Unless I'm missing a trick, notepad won't save out batch files or .cfg files. It insists on having the .txt extension. But I'm sure you already knew that or know a workaround.

Thanks very much!

Works perfectly.

Prehaps this should be made a sticky, im sure there are people out there wondering about how to do this.

one more thing, whats the best OS to host the server on, i currently use 2000 Server, this ok?

I used to use Win2k and it was fine. I've since changed it to XPP and all still seems good. You need a lot of raw processor grunt and plenty of upload bandwidth helps (Mine is here at home with me)

at the moment im just using a athlon XP 2400+ with 512mb RAM, it all seems fine with no lag in game (yet, not had many people on), and the test box has only got 650k upload, is there any more i can do to optimise it?

Yes. Add more RAM. Double what you have, at least!

ok, just got a dualcore 2.8P4 and a extra gig of ram for it, that should be enough biggrin_o.gif