Sign in to follow this  
dkraver

MOD Alarm

This is just something to think about.

More and more are making mods to this great game and more and more mods are getting useless or copies of others. Others on the other hand are great just look at the work of UCE, SelectThis/Ebud and Tigershark/Jellybelly productions. So before any you decide to make a mod do your back ground work first and do it well. Other great games like Rogue Spear and also already Ghost Recon have 2% good mods and 98% crap mods. Which in someway make me praise BIS for not just handing out the stuff to make new things. So just a warning not to destroy/fill this game with crap

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ Feb. 14 2002,22:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is just something to think about.

More and more are making mods to this great game and more and more mods are getting useless or copies of others. Others on the other hand are great just look at the work of UCE, SelectThis/Ebud and Tigershark/Jellybelly productions. So before any you decide to make a mod do your back ground work first and do it well. Other great games like Rogue Spear and also already Ghost Recon have 2% good mods and 98% crap mods. Which in someway make me praise BIS for not just handing out the stuff to make new things. So just a warning not to destroy/fill this game with crap<span id='postcolor'>

....or how about if you don't like it, don't download it/delete it & move on?

bah you didnt get the message. Try entering a multiplayer game on rouge spear. And you will prolly get a message that says you are missing this and that mod and i know there are also games in opf that does that and it aint going to be better when people makes useless mod and then uses them in a mission. Like wheee i changed name from m16 to m16a1 and so on. People are always talking about that OFP need a join in progress possibility but that doesnt help if you need 5000 mods to join a game so what i am saying is dont make the crappy mods just to show you can change the name or something like that it wont help the game online playing in the long end.

...coming from a RainbowSix, Rogue Spear vet I know where he's coming from. I'm barely getting into the mission editing part of OFP but when it comes to mods, I'm picky. If they're fun and eye candy, I'll get them. But man, if you come from the Redstorm scene you know about deleting this mod since this new mod combines this and that and oh yeah, this other mod can't work with that mod so you have to take this mod and reinstall the first mod, etc...

...good luck modders. tounge.gif

Well thats one good thing GR and RS game has. I like how you can just switch mods on and off with just the press of a button. I wonder if it would be hard to set up ofp that way. oops almost forgot you have to have UO addon to do that with RS. Its nice that it does not change any of the original files and the mods are all in one folder.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R71 @ Feb. 15 2002,08:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well thats one good thing GR and RS game has. I like how you can just switch mods on and off with just the press of a button. I wonder if it would be hard to set up ofp that way. oops almost forgot you have to have UO addon to do that with RS. Its nice that it does not change any of the original files and the mods are all in one folder.<span id='postcolor'>

You dont need that because OFP only use the mods that are used on the map your playing. I can have 500 mods and you only two. You can still join my game if I dont use the mods on my map.

And I think dkraver is right about the mods where people only change names of thing and so on. That is a thing we will have to take if we are going to make mods. What we can do is that we use a site like OFPEC or OFP network´s editing pages to host the good mods.

Just wanted to make things clear. You are talking about add-ons here as not a single MOD has been released yet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just wanted to make things clear. You are talking about add-ons here as not a single MOD has been released yet.<span id='postcolor'>

I would have to agree, but to make it even clearer.

You are talking about add-ons here, not a single TOTAL CONVERSION MOD has been released yet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You dont need that because OFP only use the mods that are used on the map your playing. I can have 500 mods and you only two. You can still join my game if I dont use the mods on my map.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, as long as the two addons the second person has are the exact two addons needed to play that map. Otherwise, he has to guess which two of your 500 addons you're using in your map and try to find them.