Sign in to follow this  
nopulse

Pc Monitors

I have a 20' inch monitor and was wondering whats the best frequency to use for the refresh rate? 75hertz? 85hertz?

I heard that the higher the hertz, the better. Is this true?

I've also noticed that the screen will move horizontally by itself and then I will have to re-adjust the horizontal settings again. Anyone have this happen to you? If so, do you know what caused the monitor to shift horizontally by itself?

Or when I start OPF, the monitor screen shakes. (like its degaussing) But when I'm in the desktop, it doesn't shake. Could this be caused by the refresh rate frequency I'm using?

Right now I'm using 85hertz.

A human eye "refreshes" at about 72Hz, so its good to have at least that or you´re gonna have a nice headache. The human eye "refresh-rate" is higher at the edges of the field of view, so if looking a bit off the monitor screen (ie. if looking at the keyboard while typing) the picture might appear blinking annoyingly if the refresh rate is not high enough.

Though it also depends on the monitor, with my 19" even 75Hz blinks way too much and gives me a nice headache, but even 60Hz is fine on my 14" VGA monitor. Propably the bestchoice is to use as high frequency as your monitor can do, but also remember that the more frequency you have the more it strains the monitor and decreases its age. Also, if you use very high resolutions and have a not-so-good video card the picture might get blurred on higher frequencies.

It depends on a number of things, but assuming you have a decent video card, set it at the highest available. There are some issues with 2000/XP and refresh rates and nvidia video cards, so if you are using the above, say so.

As far as decreasing the life of the monitor, I think that only applies to the older monitors. The newer ones are built a bit better. Since you have a 20", it can probably handle much higher frequencies than 85.

Set your video card to the highest refresh rate your monitor can handle.

Use NvRefix if necessary, and make sure your Plug'n Play monitor is detected correctly lest it limit your range.

Rates over 100hz are almost flicker free even when seen from peripheral vision. (Turn head away from monitor but observe it, you will see the flicker is exagerated as areas away from center of eye 'update' less frequently than those directly in front)

Any side effects or drawbacks?

The only negative thing is a TINY decrease in video performance, which is not something you want to trade for the savings on eye strain.

In short: set you re-fresh rate to a minum of 85Hz. Higher is better.

The higher the re-fresh the more strain on you monitor , thus decreasing the monitors life, BUT don't bother about this as monitors are ment to last 15+ years.

How reallistic is it to say that you will keep you monitor longer than 6-7 years ? wink.gif

Anyways: is the monitor's health that's most important to you or your head/eyes ? smile.gif