Sign in to follow this  
Ferox

editing text in trigger text fields.

sorry if this is such a basic n00b question, I did multiple searches and could not find a post about it.

how do I make it so that I can break up paragraphs under the text fields in triggers so that a huge paragraph doesn't come on screen all together?

i have a lot of text in my mission and often times vital info(its a vet mode sniper mission with a contact etc, needed info) is lost in a bunch of text. If this is done some other scripting way besides in that text box I would greatly appreciate the info, thanks.

Hi Ferox, You put a \n where you want the break. EI

"This is what I want to say.\nAnd this will be a second line.\n and this another."

Notice there are no spaces before or after the \n.

Its not such a noobish question I have never seen it published anywhere though Im sure it is.

EDIT: ah thanks I didn't ask the right question though. what I meant to say is how do you break it up so that one section comes on screen then goes away and the next section comes up. this way only one section of text is up at a time.

god thanks! yeah even when making missions in OFP I never really found the answer, but then again I didn't know about these forum's either.

also does that one [hq talk] command actually work in arma so its like the boss is talking? I've tried it and didnt see it work but I may of did it wrong.

EDIT: ah thanks I didn't ask the right question though. what I meant to say is how do you break it up so that one section comes on screen then goes away and the next section comes up. this way only one section of text is up at a time.

Well there are 2 ways to do that...

1: Set a trigger to what you want and exec a script with what you want to say...

message.sqs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

titleText ["your message","PLAIN DOWN",1]

~10

~10

~10

exit

If you put Plain in the " " at the end, the message will apear in the middle of the sreen.

The ~ symbol means "wait" so you can adjust the wait time to what you want.

Or you can use a publicvaraible and use several triggers with a timeout set.

Well there are 2 ways to do that...

1: Set a trigger to what you want and exec a script with what you want to say...

message.sqs

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

~10

~10

~10

exit

If you put Plain in the " " at the end, the message will apear in the middle of the sreen.

The ~ symbol means "wait" so you can adjust the wait time to what you want.

Or you can use a publicvaraible and use several triggers with a timeout set.

so I would make a message.sqs(how do I make an sqs anyways) with the text, and then in the trigger I would activate the message.sqs in scripting?

how does the multiple trigger work. sorry about being so n00bish. I've used the editor since 2001 when OFP came out, but I never tried to go more advanced then basics.

I will suggest an alternative...

Open notepad (or download the awesome Script Edit wink_o.gif )

and write something like this:

Text1 = "This is a paragraph of text with \n to break up lines and everything...";

Text2 = "This is the second paragraph I want to be shown at a different time...";

You can make as many as you wish (i.e. Text3, Text4, etc..). Save this file in your mission folder ( ...My Documents\ArmA\MissionName ) as "init.sqf"

if you use notepad, make sure and change it from ".txt" to "Any File type" else it will save as "init.sqf.txt"

Then in your trigger, take away the text effect and in the activation lin write these:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hintc Text1; hintc Text2; hintc Text3; etc....

What this does is provide a hint box which the player can read at their own pace and hit the "continue" button to see the rest.

[Edit] Here is the link to the command:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/hintC

ooh that sounds interesting, I'm gonna try that. thanks. but there still may be times I need to do it the other way so that the players dont have to worry about a box in a combat environment.

i'm using what you said about hintc making the file and all works fine except that the hintc Text1; hintc Text2; hintc Text3; doesnt seem to work, just the first text actually shows up.

I apologize then. I was certain it would have been fine.