Sign in to follow this  
mick3ykn0x

Graphic Artefacts

Ok just bought a top notch new machine but Arma gets really bad graphic artefacts on it no matter how low my settings.  lines coming out of trees and vehicles and when i scope I pretty much cant see anything.  Ive read on here about beta patches or maybe manually changing some profile settings.  Could someone please explain what these are and where i could find them or if I'm just gonna have to put up with it  sad_o.gif

Rig is as follows:

5.2 athlon 64 X2 dual core (2X 2.61ghz)

2Gig OcZ @ 1066mhz

NVidia 8800GTX @600mhz

2X 180Gb SATA II Stripe Raided

Graphic artifacts are nomally a sign of temps. Can you check what your motherboard, hard drives, processor and gpu temps are when running ArmA.

You can use Rivatuner which will log these temps in the background whilst playing.

It's not temps, I am certain of that. I have the same problem. There's something really weird that's corrupting the code in the video buffer. Hopefully it'll be fixed in another patch.

What game version?

I only had the mentioned issues on my 8800GTX when the card was too far overclocked and got too hot. Without any other changes than turning down the overclock, the problems went away.

Don't fool urself with texts as "But other games run fine", as every game is different, and especially ArmA puts a high strain on many many of ur components.

It's not temps, I am certain of that. I have the same problem. There's something really weird that's corrupting the code in the video buffer. Hopefully it'll be fixed in another patch.

Have you removed all the drivers suggest drivercleaner and then reinstalled the latest ones for your card? Sometime artifacts can be because of leftover drivers and registry entries. I had a similar thing with my 7600GT where I had artifacts on FEAR Online. Once I had installed two new HDU's then that fixed the problem.

Its a bit drastic but I would expect drivercleaner to sort your issues if it is a driver problem.

It was suggested that having antialiasing and/or anisotropic filtering on in ArmA options and having it on in the GPU settings could be the cause of this. Try setting it to application controlled in the GPU settings.

I too was experiancing this and i had my GPUs replaced. My temps on all four of my GPUs were running between 80 and 90. Since i've had the new Gpus installed, and added additional cooling, my temps never rise above 65. I havn't seen the problem reoccur.

Same thing here; severe graphics degradation after about 20min of play then a quick CTD.  Not overclocked at all yet vid card was very hot - too hot to touch.  I put a temp probe on the cards heat sink & it and it read 75C.  Removed case panel and blew more air from a small (6in.) electric fan.  Temp dropped to 69C and problem did not recur, at least not yet.  Without game running temp fell to 45C.  CPU heatsink probe reads about 31C and doesn't change much.  My room temp is 21C.

[card is a BFG 7800 GTX/256mb]

Same thing here; severe graphics degradation after about 20min of play then a quick CTD. Not overclocked at all yet vid card was very hot - too hot to touch. I put a temp probe on the cards heat sink & it and it read 75C. Removed case panel and blew more air from a small (6in.) electric fan. Temp dropped to 69C and problem did not recur, at least not yet. Without game running temp fell to 45C. CPU heatsink probe reads about 31C and doesn't change much. My room temp is 21C.

[card is a BFG 7800 GTX/256mb]

Here's some thing to try for those with 7800's and 7900's 7950's. The heatsink disign is really badly made.

I found with both of these that they block up with loads of dust over a 6 month time. The dust is normaly located right next to the fan on the fins.

The fins close to the fan are VERY prone on picking up dust.

I've helped a few people with this problem now. And if it is this whots making problems for you you will more likly see many flashing triagles on screen. Expect around 10c - 25c temp drop.

I've found this problem on all of these cards with the NV's default heatsink\fan.

Yes, & I'll add a another part to my story. About the same time as the overheating problem my card started to whine; softly at first but then very loud. I took it out and found that some clear plastic wrapping, like the stuff you peel off from new hardware panels, was caught in the fan blades. I didn't mention it before because I thought the overheating came first & caused this stuff to bubble up inside the fans housing, then the fan blades grabbed it. God only knows why BFG puts this stuff inside the fan housing, but it took me an hour pull it all out with a tweezer. It looks like it's supposed to be an insulation barrier or something because it sits between the faceplate and heatsink. Normally the screws holding the faceplate on keeps this plastic film taught. But in mine, I think excessive heat caused it to separate from the underside of the faceplate and the fan just pulled it in. Again, I think this was secondary to the heat yet there was no significant dust in mine. I should also mention that this was a replacement card (lifetime warrranty) because my first one died after about a year. I'm thinkin' now 'twas heat that probably killed it.

Well, the graphics problem just happened again despite the cooling efforts. Next, I'll try the VSync setting on app controlled in the CP. Currently I have it set on 'force off'.

That didn't work either. Neither did DriverCleanPro. Then, I set the HDRPrecision back to 8 in the ArmA.cfg file. Played about an hour with no problems (except that crazy blinding effect is back). We'll see...

[There's at least 2 threads going now that appear to be the same problem]

Well I get this with my 6800...

Here is an example of what I get:

smallermt9.jpg

(The REALLY messed up object is a player behind the gun, but this artifacts can be on anything..usually they happen and about seconds or minutes later the game will CTD.)

Very very annoying.

I usually get it within 30 minutes or more, depends really....

It seems to increase when I alt tab alot..

My temps are 64 (147.2 F...around normal temperature) and I just dusted my 6800 and system the other day...infact I replaced my card's fan to cool it down more (and it did).

I am using the PNY 6800, PCI-E...