Sign in to follow this  
Rambo-16AAB

How to apply a patch to a dedicated server

Please please Please make them installable on a dedicated server.

Having to upload all the files Via FTP is frustrating , time consuming, and unreliable.

This is for Dedicated server created by the recommended method in the Dedi server instructions - Copy the Arma folder from an installed PC to the server and run the server.exe

I totally agree!! It's absolutely ridiculous. It's going to take me two days to upload this everytime they release a patch. I can't remember the last time I had to do that with a game.

Our server downloaded the Beta install file in 1min 20 sec.

Because it doesnt run on a Dedi server Im now uploading from my PC at a time of 14hrs+ according to my FTP proggie.

I don't understand the issue : you cannot apply 1.07b patch on your dedicated? If it's a copy of your original game, you should be able to apply patch on it, shouldn't you?

No.

Because its a copy of the arma folder from a PC that has Arma installed, the update & beta patches insist it doesnt exist.

The server has never has the DVD near it to install it as you do on a regular PC ( being located in a Datacentre many miles from home means i use the install method recommended in the server setup instructions from BIS ).

Arg! I see. A dedicated server patch is needed I guess, then.

Because its a copy of the arma folder from a PC that has Arma installed, the update & beta patches insist it doesnt exist.

All you need to do is to create the registry entry on the dedicated server to make sure the patcher can find the installation and update it.

The registry file for this could look e.g.:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bohemia Interactive Studio\ArmA]

"MAIN"="C:\\Program files\\Bohemia Interactive\\ArmA"

Ive done that already with the 1.05 patch, it doesnt work.

registry enteries are identicle to my own PC, except a difference in the actual paths which i changed to match the server.

Please, make life easy for us.

Ive done that already with the 1.05 patch, it doesnt work.

registry enteries are identicle to my own PC, except a difference in the actual paths which i changed to match the server.

Can you try copying the registry branch including the serial number?

Do you have the exe from your game present in the installation, not only the dedicated server exe?

When you try to install the patch on the server, what exactly is the error message you get?

This really should work - the patcher is not requiring a presence of physical media in any way, only the game exe requires this.

This really should work - the patcher is not requiring a presence of physical media in any way, only the game exe requires this.

I've used this approach last night to update our server, and it worked flawlessly.

I did make a copy of the registry branch including the serial number and imported that on the game server.

Ok, getting a bit further.

patch recognises its istalled, but cant recognise which distribution version.

As The Uploading was shared between team members for different server boxes, i dont know what version was uploaded ether.

I am having the same issue. I created the registry key and recreated the entire structure of the key as it is on my PC, except the path that it is actually installed to (different path on my server). And the error I receive is as follows.

"Arma: Armed Assault is not installed on your computer or the installation is corrupted."

The version that is currently uploaded to the server is the 1.05 Sprocket if it makes a difference. My server runs Windows Server 2003.

- Now my question is where to go from here. I ordered the US DVD 1.06 version that I will be getting on Monday. Should I install a fresh copy of 1.06 and patch my local machine and upload back to the server?

OR

- Can I just upload the contents of the DVD to the server so that I can just run the install, avoiding this problem in the future? Will this method work or will I run into a problem with not having the disk in the drive?

I have accepted the fact that i must upload everything again, but I was hoping that I could avoid having to do this in the future by installing it directly on my dedicated box. I don't want to waste time uploading the entire DVD and have it not work, only having the upload my patched install after. Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

make sure the 1.05 game.exe is in the folder,

make sure the 1.05 server.exe is in the folder,

make sure the Dta, Addons, Campaign folders on the server are pristene,

make sure the mentioned registry key is present

in prior patches the patching utility touched other areas of the ArmA installation also, so the best thing to do is to leave everything (yes including the bis.lnk url explorer link even) in the ArmA folder on the server. Although the dedi doesn't use Templates, Missions, Campaigns folders when you get the patch up to your server it may require them there...

Everything on the server is a default install, no addons no custom anything. I have created the registry entry as it appears on my computer, but it still gives me the same error.

What do you think of my idea of uploading the contents of the DVD so that I can install the game on the server avoiding the need of future uploading? Do you think I will get errors for not having the disk in the drive?

All i did is duplicate the server call one Arma beta installed the patch on my system at home and zipped the files up and uploaded them to server (1.83Gig if i remember correctly ).

Unpacked the zip and copyed the files to the arma beta folder as it would not work from the beta folder and made new profile for it.