Sign in to follow this  
-TG- Houdini

Fixed CTDs:  sound related

Hello all.

Just a quick note to describe the changes I've made to my setup that have prevented the frequent CTDs I was getting in Armed Assault.

For me it was a sound card issue. I normally run two sound cards, my on-board sound card for Teamspeak and a Soundblaster Audigy 4 for game sound. I know this probably sounds weird, but I like running teamspeak through a separate headset so I can "isolate" voice comms a little better over game sound. Teamspeak allows you to select which soundcard is producing voice comms. This has worked perfectly for other games in the past, including OFP and Armed Assault beta.

I just disabled the on-board sound in the BIOS, rerouted the mic setup through the audigy...then disabled sound hardware acceleration in game. No CTDs for about 4 hours of game play...which is a record for my setup.

I'm not sure if disabling hardware acceleration helped or hurt, so I'm going to do a little more testing over the next couple of days.

Hope this helps *someone* out there.

Later.

Specs:

CPU: P4 3.4 Ghz (Intel D865 PERL motherboard with onboard sound)

Graphics card ATI x1650 Catalyst 7.4

Sound card Soundblaster Audigy 4 (latest drivers), onboard SoundMAX (disabled)

RAM 2GB

ArmA version UK version (latest)

DirectX version 9.0c (latest)

sounds to me like a driver issus?

anyway if your CPU is fast enought with or without the HW acceleration will not affect perforemce at all, by the way are your sure that your input and output setting are correct?

Hey 4 IN 1

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I was careful to make sure the input and output settings under the control panel-->sounds and audio devices were set correctly. Again, this setup was used in a variety of other games, like OFP, BF2, and Armed Assault Beta without issues.

I guess its kind of a tricky setup, using two sound cards at once...I liked having the ability to hear teamspeak separately, and distinctly, in my ear with the game sound blaring in all its gusto on my surround sound setup. I'll play with it some more, but I'm happy to have Armed Assault working without CTDs.

By the way, those CTDs/instant reboots normally came when I switched to map view. After I disabled the auto reboot feature, the BSOD text gave me an IRQ warning which instantly led me to a conflict with the soundcard.

Perhaps someone with a similar 2 sound card setup can give me a few pointers to make it work? I'm fairly literate with technical stuff, but not enough to start messing around with IRQ assignments without some guidance. Thanks in advance.

not with a pair of bose headphones and a programme called bpm to play your music on it dont wink_o.gif.

back on topic (i hope).

does anyone have a clear explanation as to what eax and acceleration settings do in arma. i have them both disabled at the moment and well if it aint broke dont fix it.But would like to know . I do have a yahmaha xfi card but its on my multi media pc. if there was a big plus i may use it on my gaming pc.