Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

Dividing AI squads into fireteams, WP's

Hi

I have tried in many editor ways, but I'm getting nowhere. Is it possible to have i.e. two fireteams; ft1=group this and ft2=group this, *join* a squad leader, move to a point as a squad, then split up into fireteams and have them do separate tasks?

I've created join WPs and recreated the fireteams at some later waypoint, various sync efforts, but the fireteams do not reenable the waypoints. The squad leader has JOIN and LEAD synced to regular MOVE waypoints (also tried JOIN).

If I'm a leader of the squad, I can assign squadmembers into teams and have a team do what I want, but I'm not able to get the AI to behave in this way.

I'm a newbie at this, and I feel completely lost. How can I achieve proper teamwork from an AI squad?

I'm not sure what you are after, but here's something: Basically you can join fireteams to squadleader and after that they follow squadleader (their former group id, forexample ft2, is erazed)... If they are split from squadleaders formation then they won't follow those earlier waypoints anymore (as they don't belong to ft2 anymore)... Although i'm not super expert so maybe there is a way.

One suggerstion:

Try to add waypoints to that fireteam, forexample it's new group id would be former_ft2 (former_ft2 = group this), and place waypoints to spots where ft2's (that former group id) waypoints are. I haven't tried that... and most likely needs scripting and it's hard to make dynamic...

Here is what I'm after: If I control a squad, I'm able to assign 2-5 to team red, and 6-9 to team green. I can then issue them commands (some won't work though, such as team formation, it only works for squad) by pressing Shift+F2 to select team red and telling them to attack some target.

When they are done I tell them to return to formation and we advance to the next waypoint.

But I would like an AI leader to be able to do the same stuff. Instead he always afaik assigns targets per individual, although I think several can get the same target. But he makes no effort in handling them as two different teams.

What I would like to do is to have this setup through waypointing and waypoint oneliner codes. Preferably no scripting (I'm fresh at this).

Similarly, there are a couple of related things I cannot make work.

1. If I use join waypoints to create the full squad from two fireteams and a squadleader, setGroupId for the teams doesn't keep the assigned teamcolor (not really sure what this is all about though). Any way around this?

2. For the team leaders (and the squad leader), I set enableAttack=true, but only the squad leader will issue any commands. No matter if I set it before or after they have been joined. What am I not getting here?