Sign in to follow this  
INNOCENT&CLUELESS

Grass - human brain - moving objects

Since I finally got my rig to digest ArmA I face now some oddities:

1.) The grass, as implemented today is pointless and should be removed totally. Since it is only in a circle around the player, he feel save assuming he is hidden by the grass.

For the shooter from far the player lays totally exposed on a single-color-carpet (if not using optics). The grass should be rather replaced by a blurred kind of surface where randomly different colored pixels appear/disappear simulating green in the wind. The textures of the player hidden in the grass could be shown for 1/2, 1s from time to time simulating that the wind was pushing the grass so that spotter got LOS to the target.

2. ) As suggested before I need more moving objects, Trees and grass as we have it now all trees and grass is shaking robot like and somehow synchronized. The human brain is still able to filter out exceptional movements out of this. Grass should be moved with "rolling" waves as in reality. Each tree should have its own "shaking rhythm/frequency" selected and assigned during map start. If trees are very close together they should behave like grass means also move half synchronized in waves.

3. )Grass at far distance should not be just a carpet. Different green colored pixels changing the color between light green and dark green with a frequency according to the simulated wind strength would be sufficient to hide a player since it is much more difficult for the human brain to filter, especially if he does not move. Red/yellow/blue pixels could be mixed randomly in spring/summer to simulate flowers.

All together I must say that in ArmA it is by far to easy to spot someone which is not as in RL.

What I like is the shadow/lightning, if you stay in shadow, your are really hidden. Problem in MP: If someone disables shadows, disables grass, put all to low , it is much easier for him to spot someone - kind of cheating.

There is a grass layer that partially obscures units in the grass at a distance, and the grass is encorperated into the ai's targetting algorythms. I think that that's pretty good. I think your idea about a rolling movement when the trees and grass move is pretty interesting. That said, I would be unwilling to pay for it with much performance!

I don't think you can disable the grass in MP. Those settings are dictated by the server, are they not? They are under the terrain detail settings.

There is a grass layer that partially obscures units in the grass at a distance, and the grass is encorperated into the ai's targetting algorythms.

True ONLY for AI, but other players see you perfectly smile_o.gif

I don't think you can disable the grass in MP.

It depends on the mission. setTerrainGrid

No, I also have troubles spotting other units lying in high gras in the distance. Normaly, I can only see a helmet and a bit of the back popping out of the ground. The rest is invisible for me.

@ plaintiff1: At least my experience is different: AI kills me even if I can not see them throught the grass; human players killing me, even if I am in grass on hilltop, hence LOS impossible.

If I aim through/over ironsight, a human body in grass is easy visible over 1.5 km and can be killed with a few shots. To me it looks like he is on a carpet.

In RL you see over 1.5 km in a normal wild grass you see almost nothing from far, if the grass is long and moved by the wind you see nothing.

One way would be to declare Sahrani a Golf Yard where th green is 1,83 cm high and without any flower :-) Then we could leave it as it is.

No, I also have troubles spotting other units lying in high gras in the distance. Normaly, I can only see a helmet and a bit of the back popping out of the ground. The rest is invisible for me.

This is my experience also, depending on the length of the grass.

Maybe BIS can intensify this effect by raising the grass layer by a few more centimeters.

@ Tigga: through a scope? Then it is like you are few meters away, without scope counts.

That's not true... not on my machine at least. Try playing the armoured fist mission. From the raised vantage point in the gunner's view and with his zoom you'll see all kinds of people laying under a knee deep grass layer. It looks just like the ground only the ai are inside if it instead of on top.

Distance 100m:

grass100m.jpg

You can see that only half of his body is visible. Combine that with a bush and you are pretty invisible for other players.

Distance 10m:

grass10m.jpg

At this distance, grass has only a limited effect. You can clearly see the whole body.