Sign in to follow this  
Rikus

What´s the matter with Shadows?

What´s the matter with shadows? also in low eats lots of fps. If i disable i win 30%-40% more of fps.

I don´t want to imagine to put shadows in medium or high...

wow_o.gif

Detailed shadows in games are always demanding. Sure disabling them gets extra FPS, but it also makes the game look like crap.

post processing with shadows seemed to be the fps killer for me

post processing is gone now and after review i dont want it back even if it didnt kill fps, blurr vision is not my vision

post processing is gone now and after review i dont want it back even if it didnt kill fps, blurr vision is not my vision

Blur vision? It doesn't blur my vision. There is a DOF effect in weapon sights and in cutscenes, but it shouldn't blur everything or have any negative affect on gameplay. I'm not sure what you are talking about huh.gif .

You can't disable the postprocessing in ArmA, it is always on...you have a choice of low or high postprocessing effect. (unless of course you are using riverturner to force pixel shader off)

As for shadows, the low/medium shadows use up more of your FPS because they are crappy stencil shadows...if you have a decent video card, set shadows to high to use the gpu optimized shadowing which render faster biggrin_o.gif

ArmA is the only game I have ever played where changing the settings have little or no effect on fps.....eg. changing view distance from extreme low to extreme high huh.gif

Ive found that setting the shadow detail to low still gives you good results and doesnt reduce FPS by that much, well not on my Radeon 9800 anyways wink_o.gif

Anything higher MURDERS performance.

Ive found that setting the shadow detail to low still gives you good results and doesnt reduce FPS by that much, well not on my Radeon 9800 anyways wink_o.gif

Anything higher MURDERS performance.

well I dunno about you, but I have a NV 7600GT and setting shadows to low or medium gives crap fps, high shadows give much smoother fps....disabling shadows gives back an extra 5-10 fps.